installed fonts not available

the old cowshed 14:22 14 Oct 2007

An automatic windows update happened on my computer the other day when I wasn't looking. Ever since then the fonts have disappeared from Formating. All the fonts are sitting in the fonts folder. I have tried reinstalling all of them (twice, once by dropping into the fonts folder and once by using the Instal font) but his has not helped. Only Times New Roman is available along with three fonts called Device Font followed by a cpi. If I click on styles and select one in arial then arial becomes available but Times new Roman is no longer visible. This plays havoc with my existing documents and slide shows.

Technotiger 14:35 14 Oct 2007

Why not try a System Restore back to before the update?

Joe R 14:45 14 Oct 2007

If using XP. click here

the old cowshed 16:27 14 Oct 2007

Thank you two for those replies.

Unfortunately the system restore is not an option. I've had a look at the link to the Microsoft page and although it is for Windows 95 & 98 I might try what I can of it to see if it does anything. I'll let you know how I get on but I must do my cleaning first before I indulge in more irritation!

the old cowshed 18:29 14 Oct 2007

Eureka. I spent 4 hours googling and my husband spent 4 minutes and found the answer. The update had reset the default printer to one that is a generic text printer so Word would only show the fonts that would print on that printer. As we never ever use a printer on this laptop the word printer had not impinged on my consciousness when I had seen it in my searches.

Technotiger 19:01 14 Oct 2007

OK - thanks for the feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?