Installed Epson CD+now wont boot up?HELP!!

buel 16:45 21 Nov 2009

Hi, my gf just installed a new Epson printer using the cd that came with it and when it completed and she rebooted her laptop, as requested, she gets a message along the lines of 'Computer may not be booted. This may be due to a recent hardware of software. Please insert Windows recovert disk'. She hasn't got a recovery cd/dvd i don't think. What can she do please??

Technotiger 16:48 21 Nov 2009

If she can start in safe mode, she may be able to uninstall that CD. Then try again after running Ccleaner or similar.

BRYNIT 16:56 21 Nov 2009

Did you take the CD/DVD disk out of the drive before rebooting If not remove disk and try rebooting.

buel 17:08 21 Nov 2009

Hi, thanks for that! Unfortunately yes, she originally rebooted with the epson cd still in the drive. Please can anyone explain how to start in safe mode as it is not an option i get?

buel 17:14 21 Nov 2009

Ps- I have now found the DVDs that my gf claims she made as soon as the laptop was running, they are called 'Recovery disks', is it safe to put either one of these DVDs do you think? (Im scared that it may wipe the hard drive?)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 21 Nov 2009

you need to look at Windows Vista's Repair Your Computer options.

How you access the repair options will depend upon whether you have a Windows Vista installation disk or whether your operating system came pre-installed by your PC manufacturer.
Windows Installation Disk
NOTE

With the Complete PC Restore Option you must have made a backup of your system, either on your hard drive or on a set of DVDs, in order to use this option. If you don't have a backup then don't use this option

1/ make sure your PC can boot directly from the Vista DVD. Obviously, most modern PCs can. With older machines you may need to check the PC's BIOS

2/ Start the PC

3/ Immediately insert the Windows Vista DVD into the DVD drive

4/ A Black screen will appear with the words 'Press any key to boot from CD or DVD'

5/ Press Any key to start the booting process

6/ A new screen will now appear with a progress bar. The legend say's 'Windows is loading files'

7/ After a few minutes the Microsoft copyright window ill appear and another small progress bar will be visible

8/ You will next see a Blue curtained screen

9/ After a short while the Language option screen will appear

10/ Select your language and keyboard language and the Click the Next button

11/ At the bottom left of the next screen - the Install screen, Click on the Repair Your Computer option

12/ The System recovery options will now search for your Windows Vista installation

13/ Once the Vista installation has been located, Highlight it and then Click the Next button

14/ You are now presented with the following set of recovery options

* Startup repair - This automatically fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
* System Restore - This will Restore Windows to an earlier point in time
* Windows Complete PC Restore - This will completely restore your entire PC - programs, system settings and files - from a back up that you have previously created (Available in Windows Vista Business, Enterprise and Ultimate editions only)
* Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - This checks your computer's memory hardware for errors
* Command Prompt - This opens a Command Window

15/ Click on the Option you require and follow the onscreen prompts

Pre-Installed Options
NOTE

If no repair options are available your PC manufacturer may have replaced the tools or customised them. Check your Computer Manual before proceeding.

1/ Start your PC

2/ If your PC has one operating system Press and Hold the F8 key as your PC starts. If the Windows Logo appear you will need to start again

3/ If you have a dual boot system a Boot option menu will appear. Highlight the Vista operating system and Press the F8 key

4/ In both cases, if all has gone well, an Advanced options screen will now appear

5/ Highlight the repair Your Computer option and Press Enter

6/ Select a keyboard layout, and then Click the Next button

7/ Next select your user Name and Enter your Password, then Click OK

8/ The recovery options should now appear

woodchip 17:55 21 Nov 2009

For safe mode tap F5 as pc is booting, in safe mode do a system restore to old date

buel 17:58 21 Nov 2009

My God that is an exhaustive and brilliant reply, thank you so much Fruit Bat. Yes i tried the first of the 2 recovery disks that my gf made when the laptop came (the instructions were to do this as it didn't come with a recovery disk)and the screen i got was blank apart from the message: This Pc is not supported by the system recovery disks. You will not be able to continue with these disks'. Just so you know, when we do reboot the laptop, one of the messages reads:
File: /Boot/BCD
Info: an error occured while attempting to read the boot configuration data.

Is there no way to get into safe mode so i can uninstall the epson software please?

BRYNIT 18:27 21 Nov 2009

You could try Paragon Rescue Kit 9.0 Express click here it may help rectify the boot error.

buel 18:43 21 Nov 2009

Hmm..i might have to try that Paragon route! Thank you Brynit!!
Just out of interest, is it possible to take the hard drive out, plug it in to another laptop using the appropriate leads/cables and go into it and delete the epson files?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:12 21 Nov 2009

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?