Installation of xp without a mouse.... again!

theDarkness 22:54 03 Dec 2010

This is similar to a question I posted before, but this time there is nothing wrong with the system. Ive just installed an 'xp with sp2' cd onto an old machine. Its a laptop, so it has a touch pad I can use as a mouse, but xp does not recognise it. I also have a usb mouse, but xp does not recognise this either, as its an optical mouse and not a scroll wheel.

I am stuck on the screen after installation which states "to improve the appearance of visual elements, windows will adjust your screen resolution". Pressing the tab button on the keyboard does not highlight the "ok" button, so I dont know how I can get past this screen? Are there any shortcuts to enable a mouse-like mode on this very page, immediately after installation? thanks

birdface 22:57 03 Dec 2010

Some short cuts here to have a look at.

click here

birdface 23:02 03 Dec 2010

On the Start menu:

Point to All Programs.

Point to Accessories.

Point to Accessibility.

Select On-Screen Keyboard.

Note A message box with a link to more information about the On-Screen Keyboard may appear. To close the box, select OK.

use your up down arrows to get there.And press the windows logo key to get started.

theDarkness 23:07 03 Dec 2010

I thought nothing would work, then out of frustration started pressing all the keys-and found out tab and enter together could get me through to the next screen :) tab now works to highlight the rest of the options-thanks, lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?