Installation of XP Pro

racoonboy 10:03 18 Sep 2004

Hi Folks,

I'm considering upgrading from Windows Me to XP (possibly Pro, maybe home). My question relates to product activation.

I am EXTREMELY paranoid about bot viruses and spyware, as a colleague had an up-to-date virus checker and was running Spybot, but still a dialler managed to get onto his system. Consequently, I reformat and reinstall Windows about once a month.

Will XP allow me to do this? I have heard that the process is locked to the hardware so as long as I don't install on another computer or change my motherboard etc. I can reinstall as often as I like. Is this true?

Also, can someone confirm that personal info is not sent to MS during the activation process?

Thanks for your advice,
RB

VoG II 10:11 18 Sep 2004

You can reactivate as often as you need and no personal information is sent to Microsoft. This applies even if you do change your hardware although if you make really major changes you may need to phone Microsoft to explain.

In my opinion, formatting on a monthly basis is totally unnecessary.

Diodorus Siculus 10:11 18 Sep 2004

1 - dialler problems: depends on the sites one visits and what browser one uses.

2 - personal info: none is sent during activation; one can register but that is optional.

3 - no problems arise from activation on the same machine - it is done either on the net or over the phone very easily.

4 - virus / spyware problems: download the latest programs and definitions to CD and install before connecting to the net. Same too with a firewall.

5 - Get SP2 on CD before installing XP.

Strawballs 00:32 19 Sep 2004

If you go for XP Pro you don't have to re register after changing Mobo because an administrater of a very large company network would not want to have to re register every time he has to change hardware in one of his hundreds of machines.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?