Installation of Win98SE??

roygbiv 14:00 02 Feb 2003

I have just witnessed my mother in law reinstall WIN98SE (via step by step instructions from a operator at the CURRY’S PC warranty helpline). Now she has the “bare Bones” 98SE but no sound, games or no mention of a modem. (All these items are on-board). Is there a way she can install these without ringing the helpline again (and running up a huge phone bill).
The system is PATRIOT 400 (AMD k6-2 400) (book size).
According to the operator PATRIOT “is a little bit different to other systems” ??
Alan.

Stuartli 14:10 02 Feb 2003

If you have the drivers for the devices install them and then let Windows "add" new hardware.

Then you can, if necessary, go on-line for the latest drivers.

There are numerous threads on this subject which have been recently posted - a Search will find them.

roygbiv 14:21 02 Feb 2003

Thank you, (that was quick)
These items are on-board does this mean a "special"PATRIOT driver for them?.
I had a PATRIOT at the same time (now up graded to a new system with XP) so i have a PATRIOT driver and she can try that.

Wak 15:13 02 Feb 2003

Hi, I have the Patriot computer manual which covers both the C400 and MII 300 Book computer models.
If you wish to e-mail me I will scan and copy the relative installation pages for you.
There would appear to be different drivers and discs for both computers.

BRYNIT 16:54 02 Feb 2003

If they are on board you should have a CD with all drivers for the mother board this should have come with the computor.

roygbiv 15:00 03 Feb 2003

Thank you all. So far as i know the technicain is comeing to do the installation on the PC (after all that's what the extened warranty is for). I will leave this post open for now, to let everyone know how things are with the PC.

roygbiv 13:40 05 Feb 2003

The technician came and said she would have to install windows properly.
I have posted another thread(Win98SE "installation") to get more advice for my mother in law.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?