Installation of iTunes update proving impossible

AndrewBebbington 10:23 20 Jul 2014

I have spent an entire afternoon trying to install the latest update to iTunes. During the install I got a "Can't find key" message. When the installation finished I couldn't open iTunes - Windows error 7. The support suggestion on the Apple site suggested removing all iTunes & related files and trying again. This time it wouldn't start because it couldn't find the programmes I had been told to delete! Following other advice on the site downloaded another small programme which was supposed to help - and ended up with a rogue search engine (rocket search) & malicious software warnings from my A/V software. Twice I tried to post a question on the help forum - my question vanished without trace!

I am now desperate as I need I tunes to keep my iPod up to date. (BTW - my OS is Windows 7)

Woolwell 11:47 20 Jul 2014

Are you using 64 bit or 32 bit W7? Which program did you download to supposedly help?

Try downloading and installing from here Apple Support

Ex plorer 11:52 20 Jul 2014

Hi not into iTunes myself butt you say...

*The support suggestion on the Apple site suggested removing all iTunes & related files and trying again. This time it wouldn't start because it couldn't find the programmes I had been told to delete!*

At this point I would imagine you should have scrolled down the page to paragraph 3 where it says Reinstall iTunes and related components

Apple site support

Reinstall iTunes and related components

john bunyan 12:24 20 Jul 2014

AndrewBebbington

The latest update installed OK on my desktop and a laptop - both on W7 64 bit. On a grand daughter's laptop a similar failure occurred as yours. When a similar thin happened a few months ago I had to go through the whole long winded uninstall procedure (including deleting folders) . I believe the last time was due to some Apple clash with new .NET Framework MS files. I will try in the next couple of days to sort out the laptop with problems but it is away to have a new screen and keyboard (water damage, denied by the culprit!) PS follow EX plorer's link to the letter. I keep my I tunes media in a different partition, and after the new programme installed had to use the "choose library" function by holding down the shift key as the programme launched.

john bunyan 12:26 20 Jul 2014

PS as a desperate measure you could restore you PC to a date before the attempted update. At least you could use the old programme.

alanrwood 16:01 20 Jul 2014

Complete uninstall and removal of detritus with IOBit Uninstaller (free) or Revo uninstaller would seem to be the easiest way to sort it out. Download the iTunes full offline installer from the Apple site.

john bunyan 16:50 20 Jul 2014

alanrwood

I believe the free version of Revo does not handle 64 bit. Just had a look and it does not show my iTunes - only the updater etc. Also the installation date shown is 1/01/1601 (a tad before the real date!)

Woolwell 16:53 20 Jul 2014

john bunyan - Looking at the Revo website it states 64 bit support on the Pro paid for version only.

john bunyan 16:55 20 Jul 2014

Woolwell

Yes, I wondered why my free version was so odd. I will get rid of it and use the MS version or CCleaner.

Woolwell 17:02 20 Jul 2014

It would seem that you are not alone Apple discussions.

2 things I would do first though. System restore to before the update failed and see if everything is ok and the update works. Before attempting the regedit in the link create a system restore point.

john bunyan 17:15 20 Jul 2014

Woolwell

My goodness, that regedit would test the skills of most iTunes users. One would have thought that Apple would have a "Fixit" option like Windows does for some problems. Thanks for the link - I will look at my "rogue" laptop when it is repaired. Curious that the other one installed well, with same OS.

Hope AndrewBebbington fixes his machine too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?