Installation of discreet graphics card - help!

tatty42 15:06 23 Sep 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to install an Asus EN7900 GTX (Nvidia) into the following:

MSI P4M900M3 Mainboard Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz 2GB DDR2 RAM 600W PSU 2 HDD, makes and models forgotten at present Sony DVD-RW optical drive Windows 7 Home (32-bit)

Aside from the Graphic Card being a bit of a squeeze on the M/B (alright, it doesn't really fit at all, due to cables in the way), when I switch back on, I don't get a screen. Furthermore, when disconnected from the onboard VGA connection, the monitor shows "check signal cable" - this message remains when connected to the card. I'm using a DVI>VGA adaptor which I know to work...

I've disabled the onboard gpu via Windows Device Manager and set my BIOS to use the PCI-E slot as the main graphics controller.

Does anyone have any thoughts or advice please?

All I want to do is play C&C4 at a reasonable resolution ;)

BRYNIT 15:11 23 Sep 2014

Have you connected the graphics card to the PSU? Is your PSU powerful enough for the card.

onthelimit1 15:49 23 Sep 2014

Yes, it needs a 6 pin Molex supply.

carver 15:49 23 Sep 2014

At the rear of the card is a six (6) pin connection that has to be connected to the PSU, have you done that.

If you haven't the card does not get enough power through the motherboard to power it.

Jollyjohn 15:53 23 Sep 2014

Agree - sounds like lack of power.

If you remove the card and go back to using on board graphics can you get back into BIOS to reset to on board graphics.

If you can then remove the drivers for the onboard graphics, reboot to BIOS change to PCI-e graphics - shutdown - install card and boot.

What happens?

carver 15:53 23 Sep 2014

This shows position enter link description here of connecter on card.

alanrwood 19:46 23 Sep 2014

Also just check in the BIOS that you have the default graphics selected away from the internal graphics. Check on this by leaving the card in situ and reconnecting the monitor to the motherboard video socket. If the monitor still works then you have not selected the video card in the BIOS as the primary.

tatty42 05:30 24 Sep 2014

Cheers for the responses people!

I've just looked at the PSU connector and realised I may not have connected it to the PSU properly, d'oh! I'll give that a go later and see where I get to.

With regard to the BIOS settings, what should happen if my BIOS is set to PCI-E for the graphics, but no card installed, as I think that's how it's set now, and my PC is functioning fine. Would it default to onboard gpu, ignoring the setting?

alanrwood 10:22 24 Sep 2014

Almost certainly as it is setting a priority for connection not an absolute setting.

Jollyjohn 12:42 24 Sep 2014

yes agree with alanrwood, it is a priority not absolute. Some motherboards are less tolerant than others but whilst your PC is working make a note of settings.

Drivers are very important, note what you are currently using, and having a copy of the driver is handy in case you need to revert to it.

Remove the current driver, shut down, install new card, boot, install new drivers, reboot as needed, set screen resolution.

tatty42 06:16 29 Sep 2014

OK, so I've tried again to install this card. I believe I've wired it correctly to the PSU this time, but when I tried to power it up, all that happened was the fans (processor, chassis, graphics card) spun for about a second then stopped. I take it this is the sign of an underpowered system?

Is there a method of calculating an appropriate size power supply?

N.B. I tried disconnecting the optical/DVD drive, but then nothing at all happened, not even the fans turning...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?