Installation of different versions of same softwar

simon17 12:53 26 Dec 2004

I use Musicmatch for lsitening to music online currently using version 8. However, this and later versions do not allow downloads to my personal MP3 player. For that I appear to need version 3. I have the necessary software disc and would like to install it as a separate programme. However, when I insert the disc it just tries to modify the already installed version. Is there a way around this problem. Incidentally, I also have an external hard drive, which contains a duplicate of my C drive, but installation of the programme seems to automatically default to the C drive.

961 18:27 26 Dec 2004

It may well just update the original programme

There are two alternatives..

Remove the original installation and then install the new or..

Install the new version over the old

I would try the second first

simon17 18:31 26 Dec 2004

The problem is that I really want to have both versions installed at the same time. I realise I can have either the more recent or less recent one installed, but unless I have both I lose some of the functionally I need.

Catastrophe 06:49 27 Dec 2004

Can you not just install to a different file or even partition. Like it might say install to:

c:\program files\musicmatch

and you could make a new file musicmatch2 and install it there.

simon17 09:42 27 Dec 2004

That's what I had hoped to do, but when the CD-ROM is inserted, an InstallShield is launched and it takes me to a screen, where the only choices I have are to repair, remove or modify the existing installation

thms 10:13 27 Dec 2004

I very much doubt you will be able to achieve this. As when you load your program it changes the registry. So even if you install on a different drive it will still make these changes.
If you had two computers networked you could do it that way.

Not into burning or downloading music but is there not another program you could use.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?