install xp on new laptop hard drive

rickd 17:08 05 Feb 2007

My Packard Bell laptop (long out of warranty) hard drive has died, and I can't even boot from the recovery partition. A replacement HD is on its way. The laptop came with XP home OEM loaded for which I have the product key, but no recovery disc, and a copy of the recovery partition was never made.
What is my best option to install XP on the new hard drive - will any xp recovery disc work and I can then use the old key to activate it, or will I need a specific Packard Bell OEM version, or will I have to buy a new, full version OS?

Jimmy14 17:59 05 Feb 2007

You can use any XP Home edition CD or Recovery CD as long as you have a valid OEM product key. When you try to activate with this key it will check what system specifications you have and if they match the ones you activated with when you first got the computer then it will activate fine.

rickd 18:12 05 Feb 2007

thats good news at least.
Unfortunately, the only XP recovery cd I have to hand is for my PC which runs XP media centre edition. Bit of a long shot, but do you think I could use this (i.e is this essentially xp home with some additions), or does it specifically have to be xp home edition? If so I'll have to ask around to borrow one.

Jimmy14 18:16 05 Feb 2007

Sorry but it has to be XP Home Edition as that is what type of key it is. If you tried to install the media center edition then tried to activate it with the home edition OEM key it wouldn't activate.

rickd 18:30 05 Feb 2007

I know someone with a MESH oem xp home recovery disk, would this work?

rickd 18:50 05 Feb 2007

mmm, sounds like most people will either have a full version they bought, or an OEM version specific to thier PC, so chances of me finding someone with a Packard Bell oem version are small.

I've seen "OEM version" discs for sale for around £60, is that what I need?

woodchip 18:55 05 Feb 2007

A Restore disc will not work on a new disc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?