install xp on flash drive

nobbie 11:19 21 Mar 2007

hi all, probably a stupid question, but... as my puter crashes pretty often, i have to reinstall win xp which means formatting the hard drive and losing the info on it,,, SO is it possible to install win xp on ..say..a 2gb flash drive so that i can boot from it and try to recover some of the data on the crashed hard drive.. thanks..
and yes i do understand about backing up my hard drives ..etc thanks again

skidzy 11:25 21 Mar 2007

If you have the os disc,why not repair.You should have the docs etc still after the repair.click here

brundle 11:26 21 Mar 2007
  skidzy 11:26 21 Mar 2007

Can you elaborate more on why you think its crashing so often.

nobbie 11:31 21 Mar 2007

hi all, just keep getting disk boot failure.. not sure if its just MAXTOR harddrives that i use.. but i can guarantee that it happens every 6-9 months..
thanks for the link brundle..

skidzy 11:34 21 Mar 2007

Have you tried the manufactuers web site for the hdd diagnostic tools.

brundle 11:35 21 Mar 2007

Possibilities include power-surges, struggling power supply, faulty cables. Do the drives show damage when checked using Powermax? click here

nobbie 11:40 21 Mar 2007

well at the moment i cant try any of your suggestions as my puter is down .. i'm using a friends puter to post here..that why i needed the original info to try to boot my puter back up ...

Batch 11:54 21 Mar 2007

Two options that you could try to 'manage' the situation in future:-

A. Use something like Acronis True Image to create an image of your system drive (which may well be your only drive) when it is in good condition. Then you can restore from this if you run into problems. However, if the drive is faulty, you will need another drive to store the images on. But then if your drive is faulty you need to replace it (as well).

B. Create a bootable CD/DVD - see click here

skidzy 11:58 21 Mar 2007

What make/model of pc do you have,do you have the xp disc (not recovery/restore disc).

If you reinstall windows using a recovery disc,it may well be possible to repair the system via a hidden partition (if this exists) On some machines it will give you 3 options to restore/recover.

1) Total restore (back to factory settings) Destructive

2) Repair (saving docs etc)

3) Repair and lose those docs but save system settings.

This may be a little vague,as different systems have different options but basically the same.

Though if you have reinstalled windows yourself from the OS disc,i doubt you will have this hidden partition.

nobbie 12:04 21 Mar 2007

thanks all,, have plenty to go on,,will try your suggestions out..:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?