install windows

yorkieman 19:35 17 Oct 2005

hi since no one could help with my last post could someone tell me how i can re install windows when windows will not download dvd drivers for my dvd drives and i only have a windows install disc

DieSse 19:38 17 Oct 2005

You shouldn't need any drivers to operate DVD drives - Windows contains drivers for them.

You may want extra software to play films - Windows Media Player should play them - but many people prefer other software such as PowerDVD or similar.

DieSse 19:39 17 Oct 2005

BTW - which Windows are you talking about? - If it's Windows XP - then all you need to install it is the Windows XP CD.

yorkieman 19:49 17 Oct 2005

sorry but i should make myself clear (have been trying to solve it all day)i have a dvd rom and a dvd writer. although they are reconised in device manager and at boot up windows will not install the drivers to make them work they have a yellow exclamation mark next to them so ithought if i re install windows xp it would be alright but i only have a xp disc so there lies the problem

splork 19:54 17 Oct 2005

Try making or getting a bootdisk click here and see if the drives are recognised in DOS (they should be assigned a drive letter by the CDROM driver on the bootdisk) . If they are, go into safe mode in XP, remove both DVD drives in Device Manager, and reboot. See if they are re-enabled when you restart XP.

splork 19:55 17 Oct 2005

As DieSse said, you shouldn't need any drivers for DVD drives in XP.

yorkieman 20:34 17 Oct 2005

thanks splork but this is all new to me i found the site but what do i do now

woodchip 23:48 17 Oct 2005

In Device Manager click on yellow mark and then click uninstall and reboot Windows should then install the drivers

splork 23:59 17 Oct 2005

Download this boot disk click here
Run the file, it will write a windows 98 bootdisk to a blank floppy, boot from that floppy and see if it assigns a letter to one or both of your drives.

DieSse 00:26 18 Oct 2005

Follow woodchips advice first. I don't think you should be looking at or need to do anything with boot disks.

yorkieman 00:59 18 Oct 2005

i have uninstalled from device manager rebooted i get a little yellow band saying new hardware found but nothing saying windows is loading drivers. when i look in my computer there is no dvd/cd drives showing,it looks like there is a problem in the registry something to do with code 19 if anyones the wiser

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?