Install Vista over blocked XP

GBL 17:50 22 Mar 2008

Can I install Vista (not upgarade) onto a PC with a blocked XP, if so will it save all the files etc that are already on it. When I say blocked it is one of those activation codes that has been blocked by MS. Rather than pay £95 for the genuine version I would prefer to go for Vista.

Strawballs 18:04 22 Mar 2008

I can only suggest you phone MS

GBL 18:29 22 Mar 2008

Yes I thought of that but wondered if anyone knew the answer. I can't see the pont of paying for XP when Vista is out.

alan2273 18:42 22 Mar 2008

Buy the Vista DVD and format your hard drive with it then do a fresh install.
By formatting your hard drive you will be wiping the blocked Xp OS from it.

GBL 18:50 22 Mar 2008

Don't want to do that I want to keep the existing files etc, which i know you can do if you install Vista over XP, but don't know if can do that over a blocked version.

Jak_1 18:55 22 Mar 2008

Suggest backing up your files first! This is something that should be done anyway, you never know when the pc will crash resulting in data loss. Then do a full install of Vista.

GBL 19:03 22 Mar 2008

So are you saying that it can be done??

Jak_1 19:05 22 Mar 2008

Just back up your files to cd's/dvd's or an ext hdd and then do the install.

Technotiger 19:08 22 Mar 2008

I would suggest that after first checking that the files you want to keep are Vista compatible, save them to an external media, preferable a USB hard-drive, ready to put into your new Vista. Then reformat your drive and install Vista.

GBL 19:12 22 Mar 2008

Yes but it is things like forgotten passwords to some data, otherwise a format woi8ld be no trouble.

Technotiger 19:23 22 Mar 2008

Download and Install click here then look up your passwords and make a note of them all. In PC Wizard click on Configuration and then on the Keys icon.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?