install usb flash drive problem

patso 19:13 25 Sep 2007

i have tried to install two different usb flash drives and both times my pc crashed with the error message -a problem has been detected ,widows has closed down to protect valuable files. Driver_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_Equal.any ideas as it looks like i cannot install anything now.the message box saying the driver is not signed by
windows popped up but this seems to be with all on all the hardware now.please help as the drive is for my daughter for school,thanks

What o/s?
Try system restore to prior first installing if xp.

When you state install,do you mean plugged into usb?
Should be plug and play if using xp.
The error message is commonly caused by faulty driver.
If you post back your o/s,try and help further

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:40 25 Sep 2007

XP and Vista do not need drivers installing for usb flash drives.

Technotiger 19:41 25 Sep 2007

It looks like your USB drivers are corrupted - uninstall all USB devices in Device Manager and then reboot Windows to let Windows re-install them.

patso 19:50 25 Sep 2007

sorry i meant to include my os its xp home.how do i uninstall and reinstall the drivers thanks again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:01 25 Sep 2007

Start - settings - control panel - system -hardware - device manager.

Scroll down to Universal Serial Bus controllers click + to expand - highlight each one in turn right click and select uninstall.

When you have installed ALL the USB controllers reboot your PC.

Windows will find and reinstall new hardware.

retry your flash drive and se if it is recognised.

patso 20:03 25 Sep 2007

i only have an external hp hard drive usb device.how do i use device manager to fix things.where do i look for thanks again the box keeps popping up asking me to install from a list when i plug in the device?

Technotiger 20:31 25 Sep 2007

Correction in FB's directions ... When you have installed ALL the ... should have read 'un-installed' not installed.

patso 21:38 25 Sep 2007

done what you said uninstalled rebooted still the same had to resort to a system restore again and get the same message when i plug in the usb still looking for drivers box opens up any help please as pc keeps crashing when i click on install. thanks for reply

Technotiger 22:09 25 Sep 2007

Have a look in Device Manager again, let us know if anything there has a yellow exclamation mark against it, because as previously stated by Fruit Bat /\0/\ and *Raven*, USB devices should be simple Plug & Play.

patso 13:23 26 Sep 2007

two usb devices have yellow marks beside them,there must be something wrong as every time i try install new hardware the driver unsugned by windows pops up,any ideas thanks again

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?