install software on C: not D:

iqs 15:55 30 Aug 2013

Hi I have an SSD has my boot device. I have installed a few apps on said drive,but am experiencing issues when installing others . The option to browses locations for the install is not available .Is there away around this ? Thanks

Chronos the 2nd 18:44 30 Aug 2013

Though I do not doubt you I personally have never come across software that did not allow me to put it where I wanted. But I also have SSD's in all my PC's (3)and just use them for the OS and programs with plenty of free space still available even though I have a least 50 programs installed. I only have 128GB which I have found is more than enough for my needs.

But I do move all the My folders moved to a bigger drive as soon as I have installed the OS and all games go to yet another hdd.

Could you post what programs you are having difficulty with? and I will look at them tomorrow when I am back at my desktop.

rdave13 19:36 30 Aug 2013

This is the only thing I disagree with Chronos the 2nd. I leave the OS's MY FOLDERS alone. I create folders on another drive(s) and name them as I want. Set browser's to default to a folder I created to download to and away you go. Before installing create another folder to install to. It's all manual and easy to do and doesn't upset the OS if you need to reinstall. Installing to your created folder on another drive will still give you the option to have a Desktop shortcut icon to start that program.

I've never used the 'my folders' since XP.

lotvic 19:39 30 Aug 2013

Change the install programs path. You have to do a registry edit ClickHere also details on ClickHere

rdave13 19:45 30 Aug 2013

lotvic, no need to do that as the browser will give you the choice where to download to if you create a destination folder previously on any drive.

Woolwell 20:00 30 Aug 2013

rdave13 - I'm confused, because although setting up a destination folder for downloads is straightforward choosing where the program installs may well be another matter. Most programs give a choice of installation folder.

rdave13 20:26 30 Aug 2013

Woolwell that is correct. If your download location is on another drive as default and you want to install a program then usually it's a zip folder and will need to be extracted. If not then you might get the 'browse' feature. I never install a downloaded program from the 'run' feature. I always save and then scan and then install.

Otherwise not worth installing.

Woolwell 20:33 30 Aug 2013

I download and save too. A program from a CD may well be different.

lotvic 20:49 30 Aug 2013

The Q was asked "The option to browses locations for the install is not available. Is there away around this?"

My previous post answered that Q.

woodchip 21:06 30 Aug 2013

When loading Software does it allow you to type the Address in where to install to, like C:\XXXXX as name folder

woodchip 21:08 30 Aug 2013

Or you could temporary disconnect D:\ drive when loading software. so that it only sees C:\ drive to install to. reconnect drive when you have installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review

How to draw a mandala

iPhone X review

Musique en streaming : Spotify vs Deezer