Install replacement DVD RW

raysophie 13:34 28 Mar 2008

Have a Medion desktop which has a Sony DVD RW installed, which has gone faulty. I have brought a Lite-on DH 20A3h to replace it, do I just take out existing DVD and replave it with new one?
Thought I would ask for help before I start.

lofty29 14:20 28 Mar 2008

Its easy just remember to power down, earth yourself to the case, set the jumper on the new drive correctly. fit the new drive power up and away you go

Totally-braindead 15:10 28 Mar 2008

Further to lofty29s post it is easy but do remove the power lead from the back just in case it fires up as you lean over it to install the drive. Other than that its easy enough as long as you set the jumper correctly as theres nothing else you have to do.

raysophie 18:14 28 Mar 2008

Have installed new unit with no problem, when I turned on computer the Windows XP Start page (Blue Bars scrolling in box)go on and on, I took dogs out for about 45 min and when I got back computer was working,has just started now after about 15 mins waiting. Any ideas what has gone wrong and what I have got to do now.Looking at properties under my computer shows F drive as Atapi DVD A DH20A3H
Help!!!

Grey Goo 08:54 29 Mar 2008

Did you set the jumper the same as the old unit.

raysophie 11:17 29 Mar 2008

Yes but I had also installed ausb card a couple of days ago and I found that for some reason this seemed to be locking up the system, I also used the jumper link from the old unit and used it on new. System is running much better now and I will ask question about speeding up log in and installing USB huib card later.
Thanks for your help.

lofty29 12:41 29 Mar 2008

raysophie
Just as a matter of interest why did you use the old jumper, new units come with jumper in place, may be wrong place, but still there

lofty29 12:43 29 Mar 2008

ps will show as atapi since this is the generic driver being used

lofty29 12:46 29 Mar 2008

pps usb card may not be compatible with your motherboard

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?