install relacement cd rom

letsfish 22:05 08 Feb 2003

I have an Atapi cd rom 52x,that is no longer working,and i wish to install a new cdrom.
Can I install a different make/type etc,my one is installed along with a Samsung cd r/rw.
What would be the problems ,if any.
thelsman

Nellie2 22:14 08 Feb 2003

None that I can think of if you are just swapping one CD Rom drive for another, just take the usual care when opening your case.....make sure the power is of, earth yourself etc

kuhbler 22:15 08 Feb 2003

I guess you should be ok. Take the old one out, slot the new one in, go into the bios and check that it has been detected, then boot into Windows and see. As always, make sure that you have any information you can't afford to lose backed up somehow just in case!

cream. 22:28 08 Feb 2003

letsfish.

O.K. this is what you do.

Boot windows up and go to device manager. Scroll down to cdrom drives and open this up. You should see two listed, your cdrw and cdrom drive.

Highlight the cdrom drive and pick remove at the bottom tab ( for win 98).

Now turn off the computer. Open the case and look at the cdrom you are about to take out.

Write down the way the power lead and the ide ribbon cable are fixed to it. It should be that the red lead on the power cable is next to the red stripe on the IDE cable. There may also be an audio cable at the far end of the drive.

When you have noted all of these you can pull the connectors out.

Now you can take out the screws that hold the drive in place. There are usually 2 on either side. Now slide the old cdrom out of the bay.

Take the old cdrom to a table with plenty of light and look at the top of the drive, this will give you the jumper settings. It will probably be master or slave.

Now you can turn your attention to the new drive.

Look at the top of this for the jumper settings and match them to the old one. You MAY have to move the little plastic clip ( jumper over).

Once this is the same as the old drive you can slide it into the bay. Replace the power, ide and audio cable if it has one in the same way you took them out.

Insert the screws to hold the drive steady. Place the sides back on the machine and boot up.

As it boots check it is registering as the machine boots.

Once windows loads it will put the generic drivers on for you.

You should now be ok.

hope this helps.

Stuartli 22:34 08 Feb 2003

It's just, as stated, a question of taking out the old one and swapping the leads over and that the jumper is correctly set.

But you only need to switch the computer off either at the mains or the power supply unit (if it has a switch), so that the chassis remains earthed i.e. leave the mains plug inserted.

woodchip 22:53 08 Feb 2003

I cannot imagin replascing a CD rom, when CDRW's and DVD are so cheap click here
or click here

woodchip 22:55 08 Feb 2003

Should read imagine replacing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?