Install new sound card

iqs 18:34 18 Mar 2008

Hi,i have just bought a sound card to replace my on-board sound.
Must you connect a lead from a drive to the soundcard?.I have three drives installed,I cant recall any leads going from the drives to the M/B.
Enable digital CD audio for this device is ticked on all drives.

Cheers

RobCharles1981 18:44 18 Mar 2008

Nope theres no need too,

Just plug in the sound card and install the drivers then you will be just fine.

iqs 19:21 18 Mar 2008

RobTheOrganGuru,cheers

citadel 19:22 18 Mar 2008

don't forget to disable onboard sound in the bios before installing the card.

iqs 19:51 18 Mar 2008

Hi citadel,I thought fitting the card and installing the drivers would disable the settings in the bios???.
Cheers

iqs 20:02 18 Mar 2008

have just accessed the bios,under onboard drvices there is a device called Azalia/AC97 Audio Select.

When selected the only option highlighted(there is 7) is Azaliz.The last option is All Disabled.I assume the All disabled must be selected ?.

Cheers

citadel 20:09 18 Mar 2008

it is a graphics card that auto disables onboard graphics.
it is sometime since I disabled on board sound it was just plain ac97 then. I presume what you have selected is a variation of the same thing.

iqs 20:28 18 Mar 2008

it may be listed different,but AC97 audio is stated.
I assumed wrongly that sound cards worked like like graphics cards,when fitted they automatically disable on board functions.Never mind.

Also,after I have disabled vis BIOS,should I disable on board sound in device manager.Or will this be disabled when the BIOS is changed?.
Cheers all

citadel 20:51 18 Mar 2008

after you install drivers check your new card in device manager it should say in properties 'use this device' enable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?