install new motherboard

CROPP 18:17 07 Dec 2005

I'm about to install a new motherboard. It is almost the same as the last one (asus a7v600x replacing asus a7v600) I'm hoping to get away without re-installing windowsxp and hoping that everything is ok from the off. If it isn't I think I have seen something about deleting some system files to let windows recognise the hardware. Any help on this please?

Diodorus Siculus 18:21 07 Dec 2005

You will be ok with that; an option would be to boot with the WinXP CD and choose a repair - that will sort it.

MIke 18:24 07 Dec 2005

I recently upgraded my motherboard from a pc chips to an abit board, totally different chipsets, and i just followed the advice on microsofts, knowledgebase, re performing a repair of xp. I was prepared to do a full re-install if needs be, but the upgrade went with no problems at all I did however uninstall all the old drivers for on board graphics, sound etc for the old board. This was about 6 weeks ago, and I've had no problems at all. Obviously a fresh install of XP is the ideal, but being too lazy to re-install all my programs and settings I tried the upgrade route instead.

click here;en-us;824125

MIke 18:26 07 Dec 2005

my click here doesn't work, anyway the knowledgebase article is 824125

MIke

Diodorus Siculus 18:29 07 Dec 2005

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?