install my old hard drive into my new computer OR

User-324448 13:07 02 Mar 2007

A simple question I have a new Mesh computer with Windows SP2 can I install my old SP1 hard drive in it as a slave there is a lot of info on the old old one but I do not have the room to leave it working and network it, Unless it could run on its side under my desk. I know this is probably a daft question but I could lay the HD flat if the base unit was on its side. (Should I sign off as the Bodger?)

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:33 02 Mar 2007

HDD will happily run flat, on side or vertically.

You can either:

1. connect as slave and mount internally if there is room and it will not invalidate warranty by opening the case.

2. mount as master in an external caddy, placement depends then on length of usb/power cables cable.

User-324448 13:43 02 Mar 2007

I didnt realise I could mount an internal HD into a free standing caddy, this idea appeals, I look into it & will try and find a source for one. meanwhile tower will sit sideways under my desk Many thanks.Prof the bodger

vinnyT 14:01 02 Mar 2007

Icy box are a well respected brand for external enclosures. Here's a selection from scan, click here

You don't need one of the expensive ones, they have them ranging from around £17.

Make sure that you get the right type, ie if your old drive is ide, you will need a pata (ide) enclosure, if it's sata, then sata.

Solartopi 18:45 02 Mar 2007

Fruit Bat'

Sorry to but in ...

I wish this had come up earlier. I added an extra hard drive to my computer. I had to buy an Internal Caddy, make it up and screw it on to the underneath of my Floppy Drive. What a palaver that was. Luckily the kit came with an extention for the power cable.

What a Galaxy of Knowledge here. Thanks

Solartopi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?