Install microsoft office without cd drive

Ali_T 12:14 02 Feb 2009

Hi
I have a desktop with microsoft office on it. I have just purchased a norebook without a cd drive and want to install office on that too. I have enough licences left to legitimately install office on another computer but am not sure how to do it. I have a cd/dvd rom on the desktop and also have a portable hard drive and a 2 gb flash that I have stored photos on etc. Can I use either the HD or Flash to transfer office on to the notebeook or would it be easier to share the cd drive as both my computers are connected to the same network? Whichever option is best please can you explain in detail how I do it because I really have no idea where to start?

Many thanks

Ali

Clapton is God 13:40 02 Feb 2009

"I have just purchased a notebook without a cd drive"

What??

Is this a brand new notebook - if so it must, at least, have a DVD drive surely?

If it does have a DVD drive you can use CDs in that.

Ali_T 13:47 02 Feb 2009

It's a Samsung NC10 - don't know whether you call it a notebook or netbook but it definately doesn't have a cd or dvd drive.

Clapton is God 13:58 02 Feb 2009

OK. I've now Googled it.

It calls itself a 'netbook' with no CD or DVD drive specified - which IMO sounds utterly pointless.

Is there nothing in the manual which tells you how on earth you're supposed to load programs (such as Office) which can't be downloaded?

iscanut 14:02 02 Feb 2009

Download Open Office 3 direct to the netbook !
click here Or download on desktop and transfer via USB mem stick.

Ali_T 14:06 02 Feb 2009

Not that I've seen although I know of other people who have managed to download programmes by using memory sticks etc. The problem is I don't know how to transfer a software programme using this method. What I have tried so far is copying microsoft office on to my portable HDD and then plugging that into my netbook to copy from the HDD but it hasn't worked. Got an error message about a shortcut or something.

Ali_T 14:13 02 Feb 2009

Hi iscanut - do you know if openoffice 3 allows me to open documents created in ms word or excel?

iscanut 15:43 02 Feb 2009

Yes, Open Office is fully Microsoft compatible. You cannot just copy office across as there are many other files in the registry and other places apart from the main program folder.

Ali_T 15:58 02 Feb 2009

Many thanks Iscanut I think I will do it that way but just as a matter of interest a techie guy in the shop where I got the netbook from said he ran computer games on his netbook and transferred them from his pc by using drag and drop and a usb stick. Can it really be done that way or should I look at getting an external cd drive?

iscanut 16:53 02 Feb 2009

You can certainly drag and drop files via a usb stick, but not normally installed programs due to the complexity of their installation in the various windows locations. An external CD drive would make life easier to install programs from CD.

Ali_T 17:15 02 Feb 2009

Thanks again Iscanut. Much obliged.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?