Install IDE and new SATA drive - 1 PC - comments?

Happy37 20:13 20 Feb 2011

Hello everyone

I have got a 2 PC setup where 1 PC is working fine (the 1 that I am writing this on), but I am going to replace the second drive next week (this was an IDE one connected as a slave), with a brand new SATA one.

This PC has got an Intel Pentium 4 processor running at 2.4Ghz with 2GB of RAM. The motherboard is an ASUS P4PE with the last BIOS revision update 1007. (10/2003)

Here is the kit I have purchased to fit the hard drive in this PC:-

Hard drive:-

click here

SATA PCI Card:-

click here

Power/hard drive cable:-

click here

Does anyone foresee any issues with this kit working OK alongside the existing IDE Western Digital 320GB hard drive which is now only the Master drive on its own cable on the primary channel?

The SATA drive will be independent of course as it won't interfere with this drive as it will work on its own,and there will not be any jumpers to configure on the drive? (is this correct?)

Is there anything else that I need to do, or be aware of before I fit this kit together in my PC?

What about the BIOS boot order sequence? - does this matter, or will the add-on SATA PCI Card take care of this at boot-up time?

Will be most grateful for everyones' comments, as well as any hints/tips will be most welcome/appreciated too.

TIA.

Regards

Happy37

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:29 20 Feb 2011

Why the PCI card?
Doesn't your board have 2 SATA connectors?Are you already using both?

Check the power connectors from the PSU make sure you have the correct type or a molex adaptor for your drive.

Happy37 20:54 20 Feb 2011

@Fruit Bat /\0/\

Hello - good to hear from you...hope all is well.

There is/was a reason for getting the PCI SATA card, and that is that the 2 onboard ports are only SATA 1 (upto 1.5 Gbit/s), and the hard drive is a 3 Gbit/s one.

If the ports were 2 of the 3 Gbit/s variety, and the HDD was a 1.5 Gbit/s one, I think that things would work.....or not?

I think it would have done, but if the 2 ports were 2 of the 1.5 Gbit/s variety, and the HDD was a 3 Gbit/s one, would it have worked or not?

Your comments will be most welcome, as well as anything else that you want to add.

Thanks again.

Regards

Happy37

Happy37 20:55 20 Feb 2011

Forgot to also say that I have already checked the power connectors from the PSU. I have got a molex adaptor for the new SATA drive.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:00 20 Feb 2011

Ok see your reason for the faster speed.

SATA II HDDs can be jumpered to slow to SATA1

so looks like you have everything you need.

Happy37 21:10 20 Feb 2011

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks again - that's all sorted, then.

Is that it, then? - plug in the PCI SATA card, install the drivers for it, connect the hard drive to the card/PSU power, format it, and all is good to go?

One final point, though - do you have ideas about the BIOS boot order sequence? - does this matter, or will the add-on SATA PCI Card take care of this at boot-up time? Would I have to configure the BIOS so that it would see this new hard drive or not?

What about enabling the onboard SATA controller option in the BIOS - should I not do this, or is that what the PCI card will be doing?

Your further comments will be most welcome, as well as anything else that you want to add.

Thanks again.

Regards

Happy37

Happy37 05:17 21 Feb 2011

Hello everyone...

Can anyone please advise about the last question that I have asked, please?

Many thanks.

Regards

Happy37

Happy37 11:22 21 Feb 2011

One final point, though - do you have ideas about the BIOS boot order sequence? - does this matter, or will the add-on SATA PCI Card take care of this at boot-up time? Would I have to configure the BIOS so that it would see this new hard drive or not?

What about enabling the onboard SATA controller option in the BIOS - should I not do this, or is that what the PCI card will be doing?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?