Instalation of gfx card affecting operating system

t.mccart 18:00 02 Aug 2007

I have recently purchased a geforce 8800GTS for my system and have encountered a serious problem.

When I turned the PC on after the instalisation the PC booted up a trail of vista that had run out instead of the windows xp which the PC has always booted up in the past.
I tried to make the PC boot up xp by holding F1 whilst the system loads up but only vista shows.
I have also tried inserting the xp disc I have and have gone into the recovery console to repair xp which is showing as an option to repair, but the system is asking for the administrator password which should be blank but when I just press enter with nothing typed in it says the wrong password is entered.

I have also tried putting in my old gfx card and the problems stay the same.
I have run out of ideas, do you have any that might fix the problem,

Thanks

brundle 18:02 02 Aug 2007
  t.mccart 18:13 02 Aug 2007

Thanks for the link but after starting the recovery console, I am unable to procede any further because of the administrator password, anyway I am unsure whether this would work as xp is not shown as a bootable option.

brundle 01:04 04 Aug 2007

If the Vista trial has expired you can try methods that will remove it from any startup options, I am assuming.
Reset XP password, bootable floppy; click here
If you have XP Pro and have ever used EFS encryption then you will lose access to the encrypted files if you reset the password with this method.

Then try the steps outlined in my previous link.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?