Inspiron Will Not Boot

NeilMcG 10:18 24 May 2007

Dell Inspiron 5150, XP Home, P4 with 256 RAM. Boots as far as XP Splash screen, screen goes blank and then everything stops.

It is then necessary to disconnect the power & battery in order to attempt boot again. I have tried it with battery removed using AC only and vice versa with same result. I have also run all the Dell diagnostics and it appears that that all the hardware is functioning correctly.

Any ideas? In the famous words of the computer numpty - HELP!!

Thanks,

Neil

Strawballs 10:28 24 May 2007

Try pressing F8 during boot up and choose last known good configuration see if that works.

NeilMcG 11:30 24 May 2007

Thanks for the quick response, no joy with that either :(

P1d 11:57 24 May 2007

Will it boot from cd, you could try running a Windows Repair?

NeilMcG 12:09 24 May 2007

The only discs that came with it are Dell discs which seem only to contain applications & drivers.

I have tried an XP Home disc from another machine, tried Recovery Console, but is asks for an Administrator password although none was ever set to my knowledge.

ventanas 12:10 24 May 2007

Just hit return at the password request. Home versions didn't have one.

NeilMcG 12:23 24 May 2007

Return just repeats password request and only gives three attempts.

When I boot into Safe Mode I get the following: (good ol' BSOD)

Stop: c0000135 {unable to locate component} This application has failed to start because MSVCRT.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix the problem.

Windows installation up the creek?

P1d 12:40 24 May 2007

Did you not receive a Dell (usually green or burgundy in colour) cd which says on it "Operating System.....Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows [versionhere]" All the Dell's I've bought have come with this cd which is what you need.

P1d 12:44 24 May 2007

Sorry I just remembered I posted a similar item to this earlier which can be found if you click here

Not sure if this will work as I've never used them click here

Good luck.

NeilMcG 13:19 24 May 2007

Big blush!! Apologies, foung Dell recovery cd lurking at bottom of laptop bag!

Can enter recovery console, FIXBOOT makes no difference.

FIXMBR states that computer appears to have non-standard or invalid MBR & that FIXMBR may damage partitiion tables.

Cancelled out of that without making any changes.

P1d 14:01 24 May 2007

Not too sure if this will work but it makes an interesting read;

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?