insistent dialler -Win XP Pro

Phrixos 16:27 08 Dec 2006

Even though I have a broadband connection, I like the added security of staying connected only when I need to be--so I am all the time connecting and disconnecting as required.

That said, my dialler pops up every few minutes asking for me to connect. This constant interruption is driving me up the wall. I am unable to determine which program is directing this unwanted behavior so I can correct it.

Does anyone know how I can determine which program is calling up my dialler all the time?

ATB,
Phrixos

Technotiger 16:30 08 Dec 2006

Hi, maybe if in IE you go to Tools>Internet Options>Connections and tick Never dial a connection.

Phrixos 20:36 08 Dec 2006

HMmmm,

Yeah, but I think my ISP wants the "always dial" setting.

In any event, I'd sure like to know which program is actually causing the dialling.

Thanks,
Phrixos

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:43 08 Dec 2006

What Firewall do you have?
Hopefully your not relying on XP firewall

Put all your program accesses to ASK in the firewall and it wil then show you which one is attempting to dial out.

Aargh 20:47 08 Dec 2006

Select the never dial a connection - your system does not dial anything to connect to broadband, its always on.

If you have a firewall up you are secure, especially if your browser is not running.

If you want to turn off broadband right click on the network icon in the systray and disable it.

Phrixos 23:30 08 Dec 2006

Hi Fruitbat.

I'm using Zone Alarm. I've just switched to "Never dial"--I'll watch for a while to see what happens.

(Aargh) Funny. 'Been using computers for ten years--even built several, and though I knew at least the basics, but I guess there's no end even to the basics. I thought that once you "disconnected" via the little "two monitors" icon in the systray, you were, in fact, disconnected.

Not so sure however, about Zone Alarm doing it's job. I'm still trying to remove the last vestiges of a browser hijacker that had me by my little round ones for two weeks!

("Aragh". I know how you feel!)

Thanks for all the advice,
Phrixos

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone