Input device for drawing?

Marky_Bhoy 15:11 03 Feb 2004

Drawing pictures with my mouse is quite difficult.

Does anyone know of a product that is basically a 'pen' and 'pen mat'. Thereby giving me greater control over my drawings.

Are they expensive?

Might I as well draw the pictures on paper and scan them into my computer?

P.S

I have Win XP pro.

I intend for my pictures to be used in a Flash Intro.

Should I be using Macromedia FreeHand?

Thanks

ton 15:30 03 Feb 2004

click here for the cordless pen by Wacom.
I have the A6 size, very good and price reasonable.

Edstow 16:11 03 Feb 2004

Wacom tablet devices as suggested by ton are the best by a long way. Anyone who has tried a Wacom and another brand will most likely agree with that.

We use A3 size which are very expensive but an A6 is quite adequate for most non professional uses.

You can also use the stylus instead of a mouse and there is also a cordless mouse included with some models.

Rogerfredo 16:47 03 Feb 2004

I bought an A4 tablet from Aldi just before Christmas. This is a USB device and only cost £30.
Incredible value (made by Medion).

anchor 16:52 03 Feb 2004

Have been to the site and am somewhat confused. There seems to be a selection of model names. What exact model do you have?.

Diemmess 16:58 03 Feb 2004

My tablet is old enough to be the only device now using a serial port. New, they are only available with USB connections.

A6 size though it didn't carry that name when it was born.

Without a doubt in my mind both mighty useful and totally reliable.

I used it instead of the mouse for a long period, but found it produced a burning muscle tension pain in my shoulder when used like this for long periods. No such problem if used in a graphic for freehand drawing and fine detail stuff, like cinching an object or masking.

Diemmess 17:16 03 Feb 2004

You can use both together, by the way without troubles of any kind...........

Just be aware of the odd occasion when the pen is laid down too close to the tablet and then the mouse doesn't seem to want to behave!

Chegs ® 17:32 03 Feb 2004

I bought a tablet from a puter fair,for use by my daughter.Its only drawback is its size(smaller than most mousemats)but with a little practise,can be used to great effect(it also has a collection of tabs around its mat,for launching email,etc)It only cost £15,but my 7yr old adores it,and M$ paint.

Marky_Bhoy 18:33 03 Feb 2004

thanks guys.

You have been a good help!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?