INOPERATIVE DVD RW

Wayfarrer 05:30 09 Jul 2009

I deleted the code -{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE1038}
in the process of uninstalling Cyberlink Power Producer, which came preinstalled with my Fujitsu Lifebook A6110 - because this code was also highlighted for deletion by the Revo Uninstaller I had used in the process.
Now the DVD Drive does not show in the My Computer config.
I contacted Fujitsu support, who advised me to do a system recovery and was specific about it. No system restore no nothing.
Now, I do not wish to go that way because I not only lose a lot of data but also installed applications that I shall not have the time and inclination to do so besides disrupting my ongoing projects in hand.
I wish to know if there is any other way that code can be put in there back again to have the DVD drive going?
Or is there any other method of getting the DVD drive work again?
NOTEBOOK: Fujitsu Lifebook A 6110/ VHP SP1/2GB RAM/intel dual core processor.

Wayfarrer 05:47 09 Jul 2009

Have installed Power Producer back on again - but that does not help either.

BRYNIT 06:48 09 Jul 2009

Have you tried system restore. Look for a restore point just before uninstalling Power producer.

Wayfarrer 06:58 09 Jul 2009

Oh Hi Brynit - so good to see u again.
Nah I didn't try the system restore coz the tech guy from Fujitsu stated that a system restore shan't work, because the code is no more there, as I had deleted it.
Any other ideas?

Wayfarrer 06:58 09 Jul 2009

Oh Hi Brynit - so good to see u again.
Nah I didn't try the system restore coz the tech guy from Fujitsu stated that a system restore shan't work, because the code is no more there, as I had deleted it from the registry.
Any other ideas?

Wayfarrer 07:03 09 Jul 2009

I cud have done a restore from the full back up but for the dead LaCie HDD - remember, that u dealt with a while back?

Wayfarrer 08:14 09 Jul 2009

I just checked a while back the, the restore point to pre uninstall of the Power producer does not exist - due to low disk space.

gazzaho 08:26 09 Jul 2009

It might be worth reading through this and trying the fix, manual or by using the fix it for me wizard. I've no idea if it relates to your problem or not, it worked for me after something in the Vista SP2 patch screwed my DVD drive up.

gazzaho 08:26 09 Jul 2009

Sorry link here click here

Wayfarrer 09:40 09 Jul 2009

Oh that was a wonderful gift from you gazzaho and I couldn't thank thee enough - indeed I couldn't have asked for more.
The DVD Drive is now listed after pc restart, but it still does not play and I guess I shall have to relaod the drivers as the same article suggests.
May be some other day let me relish in this accomplishment for now.
And thank u once again my friend gazzaho and also Brynit.

rdave13 09:49 09 Jul 2009

If XP try this Doug Knox fix; click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?