inks in a new printer ?

Ikelos 20:09 27 Dec 2006

Hi, is it right that all new printers have sort of trial cartridges, my canon pixma5200r is now running out of ink, well, a message came up on screen saying the cyan was running out, and the others are not far behind, I do not seem to have printed much on it..wondering if the new ones will last any longer

thanks

postie24 20:21 27 Dec 2006

Wasnt the case with my epsom printer.Ive found that compatable inks dont last as long as the originals.

postie24

jack 20:23 27 Dec 2006

It is true that some models from most of the makers have 'Lite Use' cartridges supplied with new machines.
We are informed that this is because of the probable time lag between manufacture /shipping/stocking and ultimate sale- could render carts unusable- So a waste of ink if a fully charged set were to be installed.
Of course the cynics amongst us would say -" They would say that wouldn't they!"

Technotiger 20:35 27 Dec 2006

Hi, yes, new printer - less ink in cartridge. My new Epson printer told me what to expect re first cartridges.

Ikelos 20:59 27 Dec 2006

thanks all, sent of for new one's, cost £49, see how long they last.....

be almost as cheap to buy a new printer. :-(

Technotiger 21:07 27 Dec 2006

almost as cheap to buy a new printer ... your right in a way, printer makers make most of their money from the Inks - which is why they don't like cheap compatables.

wjrt 21:21 27 Dec 2006

click here
canon cartridges £7.95 each

Ptolemy 22:30 27 Dec 2006

Epson told me the reason that the first cartridges run out so quickly is because they need to "charge" the printer - i.e. the tubes leading to print heads have to filled up on first use. I think the "lite" cartridges sounds more likely considering the closeness in price of a new set and of cartridges and a new printer with the same included.

click here

Taff™ 23:11 27 Dec 2006

£7.95 each for originals sounds good but £2.95 for the compatibles I use in my Canon sounds better! click here

Ikelos 11:37 28 Dec 2006

ordered from Phoenix Direct yesterday evening and they turned up this morning, 4 of the inks were £8.28 each and the 2nd black was £9.49

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?