Inkjet Printer - Low running cost

sean-278262 16:00 05 Apr 2007

I am currently looking to buy a replacement inkjet printer as my lexmark z515 has now died. At £17 a cartridge for a black it was expensive and I would like to get something that costs little to run. Overall the initial cost isnt as important to me as the cost of the cartridge. I remember someone saying on here about an epson printer and that replacement for the single (of 4 cartridges were about £1 each). So I am looking for advice on what to get that wont cost the earth to someone who does a lot of printing.

Any suggestions are welcome as to what to get. Many thanks in advance.

A

Woolwell 16:18 05 Apr 2007

If you are doing a lot of black printing go for a mono laser printer. This will be cheaper than an inkjet.

Costs tumble if you use compatible cartidges. There have been several threads on the pros and cons of the different types of cartridges.

kindly 16:25 05 Apr 2007

I am using a canon IP4300. It has seperate ink cartridges. The best idea I think. Better than all in one. You are right that the price can be down to £1 but remember that this is for third party ink cartridges usually.
As far as a printer is concerned, I would think about what you want from it. If it is photo's you want to do then you will find that photo ink is dearer than the ordinary ink used.
Do a search on google for different printers and when you see one you like do a search for the price of ink cartridges to see what you can get them for.
As I have said, the best thing is to get a printer with seperate cartridges so when one goes you dont need to change them all.
Hope this helps you.

sean-278262 16:42 05 Apr 2007

Laser isnt an option as at £60 for a compatable toner it is an expensive cost. Also I require colour printing at times.

For what I print as a student 3rd party ink is ideal. Price on the cartridges is important more than that of the printer. Any ideas what printers are available at that ink price bracket of under £5 a cartridge?

pj123 17:10 05 Apr 2007

I have two Epson R220 printers. I think they cost me about £50 to £60 when I bought them. They take 6 separate ink cartridges around £3.49 each from Choice Stationery click here

They produce really good quality prints (including direct print to CD/DVD) but, unfortunately, they have been superceded by later models.

This one looks pretty good to me:

click here

Then check out the ink cartridges on:

click here

kindly 18:14 05 Apr 2007

If its only text and colour printing you want and not a photo printer then you can get a good printer, either canon or epson for around the £40 mark and you can get cartridges for a lot less than than the £5 bracket you sugest. With an epson printer you can even get tanks that stand outside the printer and have small capillary pipes that feed the ink into the printer. The system is called "continues feed". The tanks hold a whole lot more ink and makes sure that the quality of work printed stays the same for a long time.

Bagsey 18:33 05 Apr 2007

Check out this for continous ink supplies for Epson
click here
I dont think that I have seen cheaper.

missingit 18:41 05 Apr 2007

Nice link Bagsey,just got myself an Epson R265.It goes though the ink printing Cd's/DVDs.

Bagsey 19:30 05 Apr 2007

If you get one of those CIS for your R265 please let us know how easy or otherwise it is to fit. I am think about one for my R300.

robgf 01:56 06 Apr 2007

My Canon S200 is very cheap to run. Compatible cartridges cost from as little as 99p (it takes two), although I usually refill my own (yep, I'm really tight. :) )
Print quality is ok for letters and basic pictures, but the quality isn't good enough for photographs.
The only downside is that the print speed is rather slow. If printing a photo, you have time to paint the scene in oils.
The current version is the S200X, but I think it is essentially the same as my version.

click here

Diversion 02:29 06 Apr 2007

Have you thought of trying this little program, you can cut down the inkflow by 75% click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?