Ink refills question

FatboySlim71 16:52 30 Sep 2009

I own a HP printer which takes the HP 343 tri colour cartridge and the HP 338 black cartridge.

I have noticed that one of the cheapest ways for ink is to purchase the ink refill kits which contain a bottle of black, cyan, magenta, yellow inks and the other bits of the kit.

I was wondering if anyone has refilled their own HP cartridges and if so what was the quality like of the printouts, was it easy to do, was it a messy job and lastly can you recommend a good quality brand for inks/refills.

Thanks.

tullie 17:02 30 Sep 2009

To be honest,is it worth messing about?I have just purchased 10 cartridges from Choice Stationary for £19.99,though i have never tried refilling.

FatboySlim71 17:09 30 Sep 2009

Thanks tullie.

The reason I was wanting to refill them was because of the cost of the ink cartridges, even the compatibles work out expensive.

If I could get 10 cartridges for my printer for £19.99 then I wouldn't be interested in refilling my own : )

I have tried various makes of printers, Epson, Canon, Brother, but I have never found any that compare to the quality of the printouts from my HP. So purchasing another brand of printer is not really an option for me.

Wak 17:21 30 Sep 2009

Hi, I've been refilling cartridges for nearly 9 years now and HP21 & HP22 cartridges since April 2007.
It can be messy when you first start but practice makes perfect.
Start on a sheet of plastic but all I use now is one piece of kitchen tissue.
If you over-fill, withdraw about 1cc of ink.
It costs roughly £1 to re-fill a cartridge and take about 5 to 10 minutes to fill a black, colour taking a bit longer, naturally.
This site can be a good help, click here
I find it helps to make the cartridge accessible within the printer and then pull the plug out of the socket.
Then remove, refill and replace the cartridge, and then replace the plug in the socket.
That way the printer doesn't know that you've had the cartridge out.
The ink level indicator goes all to cock but if you refill as soon as it shows going empty things will be OK.
Never let the cartridge run really dry.
I would suggest you have a try.
You could loose about £9.00 if you don't like it but save hundreds of £s in the long run.

BRYNIT 17:21 30 Sep 2009

I have refilled my HP cartridges and the quality is usually very good. Sometimes the cartridge will fail depending on how many time you have refilled them.

For instructions on refilling your cartridges click here

FatboySlim71 19:41 30 Sep 2009

Thanks everyone for the help it's much appreciated. Like you have said Wak, I may waste some money if I don't like it but save loads if I do like it. I know at some point I would have to purchase a brand new HP cartridge to give me a new printhead/cartridge, but this wouldn't be everytime.

FatboySlim71 20:28 30 Sep 2009

Which brands of inks do you's find provides the best quality or are they all about the same in terms of quality.

FatboySlim71 21:52 30 Sep 2009

bump

Condom 23:18 30 Sep 2009

Have you tried looking to see if you can obtain a CISS system for your printer. Easier to refill, cheaper as well and you have the choice of many different brands of inks.

Ink technology is quite an advanced field and it will surprise no one that many of the inks available today are in fact developed by only a few companies so brand name is not always what you might think it is.

FatboySlim71 00:09 01 Oct 2009

Thanks Condom for the help.

I have had a look at the CISS system, but to be honest the ink cartridges that my printer uses only have a relatively short life before the electronics/printhead fails, so if this happened and I were using the CISS system, I can imagine it been a bit fiddly to attach a new cartridge to all the pipes. Also, I cannot see how the cartridges would fit inside my printer with all the pipes on them and then to the ink tanks, which I believe sit outside/on the side of the printer.

The CISS system looks to me to be a bit awkward and fiddly, and possibly messy system.

If I could refill my own cartridges, these seem to me to be possibly the easiest and one of the cheapest ways of refilling.

Thanks for the mention regarding inks been developed by a few companies, I wasn't aware of this. I have been looking at what appears to be a decent refill kit, it is a Jettec brand, for the colour and black refill kit which includes the syringe and the other necessary bits, these are supposed to refill my cartridges 4-6 times, these cost £18.70

Condom 00:20 01 Oct 2009

I have used a CISS System on my Epson R265 for some years now having first seen them widely in use in the far east. The system comes with an appropriate cartridge and everything needed already fitted. It took me about 10 minutes to install and After 2 years I am still on my first set of refill bottles. Refilling the system is a breeze. The cost of the whole system including 6 large bottles of ink was less that buying one set of cartridges for my HP. The system is so good that Epson occasionally shows a pop up thanking me for using Epson original inks (I wish).

I can assure you that the quality of the A4 photos my printer now prints matches anything the HP printer could ever do using their cartridges at a fraction of the price.

Whatever you do good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?