Ink Jet printers: refilled cartridges, new other-makes or makers originals

johnincrete 10:11 26 Apr 2014

My Canon printer stopped working and I was told that the cause was refilled cartridges (all from Cartridge World). I was in a hurry to print two important documents and the trafic was hideous in Chania so I went to a local shop and bought a Brother which was the only one that did auto-duplex.

The question: is the printer makers' claim that only their (expensive) cartridges can be used just a sales gimmick or is it true?

mart7 11:11 26 Apr 2014

I too have always used compatibles for years with minimal problems on my hp 4280 AIO,ive had the occasional pop up saying " cartridge not recognised" but the shop always sent a freepost pack to return the cartridge for a replacement,probably twice in 5years

I use Refresh Cartridges,customer service second to none

click here

wee eddie 11:30 26 Apr 2014

I used to print all sort of things. Now I print, only what I really need.

I have a Colour Laser (a Samsung) because I believe that for the occasional printer, Inkjets waste too much ink in the start-up cleaning process and I only use branded cartridges.

My feeling is, "Why risk screwing up a perfectly good printer for the cost of a bottle of wine"

spuds 12:34 26 Apr 2014

I have a variety of well known branded printer's, and when the 'trial' cartridge runs out, then its a compatible that used for the replacement.

Only once have I had a cartridge problem, and that was with a Choice compatible that started to leak. I stopped using Choice and get stocks from elsewhere. Touch wood, more than happy with what I get and save quite a bit of money into the bargain.

One printer I use daily is a Brother DCP-135C all-in-one. The compatibles cost 50 pence each, and the original cartridges are far more expensive. Plus the compatibles that I get have 'extra capacity' filling, which makes them more of a bargain. Print quality perfect.

wiz-king 17:01 26 Apr 2014

I also use Brother inkjets and have about 6 different models, all run well on compatible inks. I also have Brother laser printers and fax machines again all running on compatible drums and toners without problems.

rdave13 17:12 26 Apr 2014

I use Inkredible compatible cartridges since I received bad customer service from Choice. Never looked back. If you're abroad, however, then it may be different.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone