Initial boot-up

Curio 14:28 15 Sep 2006

These last few days my PC (XP SP2) has decided intermittently not to complete the full boot to include the icons on the Desktop. Ctrl Alt Del and Restart or Shut down will eventually bring up a correct boot. Sometimes the first reboot will do it, but I have done it 5 times to get the result. When fully booted, everything is OK. Have tried Scandisk, SFC, anti-virus and Spyware/Malware sweeps to no avail. Irritating to say the least. Any pointers appreciated

ArrGee 14:30 15 Sep 2006

Try this out to see if there are any problems
click here

Curio 14:40 15 Sep 2006

Already using this. I originally thought (as it is a Beta) that it might be the cause, but I think not now.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:39 15 Sep 2006

Where did my icons go?
If all of your desktop icons are missing, right click on the Desktop, select Arrange Icons By, then select Show Desktop Icons
click here

or sounds like a corrupt profile

copy all your docetc. to another folder back up emails and address bok the log on in safe mode as administrator delete the profile(account) and reboot.

MAke another account with a different name or log on again in safe mode and rrecreate the account

Curio 18:01 15 Sep 2006

Show Desktop items already ticked. Will try second procedure later (next time I Boot up). Thanks for info.

Curio 18:07 18 Sep 2006

That seems to have cured it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017