Initial AOL network setting up

igoc28 13:46 18 Jan 2006

Hello all,

I have my laptop and a new PC, and the Speedtouch 576. I would like both of them to run wirelessly. Is it possible to do this, or does one computer have to be connected via ethernet to enable the network to function properly?

I'd also like to know if it matters which computer I set up to run wirelessly first.

Like loads of people (and I thought it was just me!) I have been having a nightmare with the 576 and AOL - the live help didn't help. Once this has been answered I'll go through the steps again, referring to other users' advice, but may well need more, since I am new to doing anything more than using the internet and Office! Thanks.

mgmcc 14:21 18 Jan 2006

It is normally necessary to perform the initial configuration of a router using a "wired" ethernet connection. Once configured though, connections can be all "wired", all "wireless" or a mix of "wired" and "wireless".

<<< I'd also like to know if it matters which computer I set up to run wirelessly first >>>

When using a router, all computers connecting to it have an equal status in the network - there is no "host" PC and there are no "client" PCs, so it doesn't matter which is set up first with a "wireless" connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?