Infrared file transfer

BillyOC 00:35 04 Feb 2006

I am trying to send photos from my mobile phone to a laptop, using infrared.
The phone is a SonyEricsson T610 and the laptop is a Thinkpad 760 with built-in infrared.

I can switch on infrared on both devices and the laptop recognises the mobile. I then open a photo on the mobile and press "Send" by "Infrared". Nothing happens ... the mobile says "Connection failed" and bleeps.

Any idea what I am doing wrong? Do I need to download software to my mobile (and how do I do that?)

rupie 00:44 04 Feb 2006

how does the laptop know what is going on and is it expecting to recieve an image from the phone? Is there software on the laptop designed to talk to the phone and recieve images ?

BillyOC 01:01 04 Feb 2006

Thanks for quick response, rupie
I have no software on the laptop to receive the photo. I assumed Windows would "know" that another device was trying to send. I wonder what software I could use?

Fingees 11:41 04 Feb 2006

First you will have to set up your bios to enable the IR port.

Read your manual.

You will then need to use a program to drive the IR port for the application you need it for.

This is usually supplied on a CD when the machine is purchased.

Soory I can't give more explicit help.
I use mine with my digital camera.

BillyOC 21:45 04 Feb 2006

The infrared transmitter and receiver seem to work, because they both recognise each other. The problem is that I probably should have a program on the laptop to receive the photo file.
I've searched SonyEricsson support website for such a program but to no avail. Incidently, I can use Bluetooth; it works fine, but I'd like to be able to use infrared too.

Thanks for the reply, Fingees.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?