Information on Television with WiFi/Broadband connection?

spuds 11:21 28 Sep 2013
Answered

Not up to speed with this modern technology, so hoping that someone might be able to help?.

Possibly in the market for a new television. and checking things like the Argos catalogue, there seems to be a mention of televisions with WiFi or Broadband connection, some possibly requiring a dongle, others have an inbuilt service.

So question, is it worth purchasing or considering one of these new look technological televisions, or is it just another 'must have' gimmick?.

Any advice or information gladly received and appreciated.

rdave13 12:00 28 Sep 2013

Handy to watch BBCi player etc. and they don't seem to be that expensive.

spuds 12:22 28 Sep 2013

That's the point, the price difference seems hardly noticeable, except if there is a dongle required, which according to the catalogue might add a further £30 or so, unless purchased for half price at time of sale.

The present main television was purchased a number of years ago, as one of those top of the range sets, with many advantages. But I doubt if we have ever used the majority of these advantages, since we have owned the set. Other televisions likewise.

Personally, I am not one for thumbing through a whole host of instructions, then perhaps realising the old grey matter is not taking it all in?.

Perhaps a long shot, but is there anyone reading this, who uses a 'wifi' television. If so, what are your comments. is it a worthwhile venture, or something that will lose interest?.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:07 28 Sep 2013

I have a Humax box which is wifi/ internet enabled (£30 for wifi dongle)

I connect it to my network using a homeplug, however due to the limited number of "apps" I can only get BBCiplayer YouTube and Netflix so apart from grandson watching some Youtube vids it hardly get use to connect to the internet.

What I do use the net connection for is to transfer recordings from the box to the PC for editing and streaming media content from my PC to watch on the TV.

compumac 13:19 28 Sep 2013

I have a Samsung Smart TV - All singing all Dancing with built-in Wi-Fi- Everything including 3D. I only use the 3D when there is football on. I connect using a wireless keyboard and mouse.

It all depends on your interests If your PC is in the same room and switched on why use the TV

If your PC is not to hand whereas the TV is then......

I sometimes connect my Phone to download videos or photos to the TV.

I occasionally surf the web but quicker to use my phone or PC.

It is just handy in the event of..................

chub_tor 13:26 28 Sep 2013

Recently bought a smart Samsung (last year's model deeply discounted by eBuyer) which has built in WiFi plus ethernet. Tend to use the latter connected via a powerline/homeplug adapter. Has BBC iPlayer, ITV player, 4onDemand and 5 on Demand. We now use it for Skype (had to buy a special camera), but have found it slow for email and general internet/Google use. We have added an extra radio app to listen to local radio from Austin, Texas where our daughter lives. We found the YouTube App great for watching the complete America's Cup series instead of the BBC2 highlights and we use the Samsung AllShare App for streaming from the PC or Tablet to the TV.

spuds 13:31 28 Sep 2013

The 'all dancing' Samsung was one of the televisions on our selection list.

compumac 14:03 28 Sep 2013

I bought the all singing all dancing TV ONLY because of its excellent picture quality. The all singing/dancing/camera etc was incidental and was not the main consideration when purchasing

chub_tor 14:53 28 Sep 2013

I agree with compumac, we chose Samsung because of the picture quality, the smart part was a bonus, but a very nice bonus.

spuds 12:19 07 Oct 2013
Answer

Update and closure.

The initial reason for raising the question was due to the television 'playing up' and a new one with latest higher specifications looked like the simplest solution.

Television now appears to have come out of the naughty corner, so we will see how things go.

Would add that the model we had considered, was well worth looking around for, with a variety of retailers. Five years 'free' warranties and £50 discounts were available on the same model, already discounted.

Thanks again, everyone who helped. Very much appreciated

Ian in Northampton 15:00 07 Oct 2013

I know the thread's closed, but... One thing to be wary of is that, just because you can connect to the Internet, doesn't mean you can do everything the Internet lets you do. For example, the Samsung TVs don't support Flash player. What this means is that you need to choose your new TV based on (as well as other things like picture quality, aesthetics and so on) what that manufacturer's online platform is like. The Samsung is generally regarded as the best featured, as it has the most complete set of catch-up TV services, as someone has already noted. For example, not all smart TVs can do 4OD, ITV Player, 5 extra (or whatever it's called). While the Samsung set supports YouTube, it doesn't support any Flash-based content. I have a Samsung, about a year old, and it's one of the best things I ever bought. It's very, very pretty; very well-featured; outstanding PQ; and very reasonably priced.

One other point: originally, I thought it would be kinda cool to be able to use the TV to surf the web. However, navigation using the remote is a nightmare, and text entry even worse. We got the remote keyboard, and that improved things. However, the technology was pretty much overtaken when my wife got a tablet: now, anything we want to know while watching TV ("Where have I seen him before?" she just looks up on her tablet, rather than using the TV.

One other other point: as someone else has said, it's possible to convert a non-online TV to an online one, at theoretically much less expense, by buying a 'smart' PVR, DVD player or set top box, and hooking that up to your TV. However, the same caveats about online platforms still exist.

I hope the above helps someone, even if Spuds is now beyond help... :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?