Info on laptops

Shagrin1 17:11 17 Mar 2003

I intend to treat myself to a new laptop on my birthday. Every time I look at them I get more puzzled as to what is available. I have £1000 to spend, want 512 ram, 15 in screen and CD.RW and DVD with TV out. Also What is USB2? and will my USB 4 port work on it?
There is also a range of chips, Pentium 4s and M? chips.Which one do I go for?
Where is there an up to date article that will put me in the picture before I buy. Is there any new features that I should hold on for.
Shagrin

Lú-tzé 17:21 17 Mar 2003

click here for what seems good advice. I've not delved too deep into it, but it seems to have covered the basics.

Belatucadrus 17:26 17 Mar 2003

click here may be of some use.

wee eddie 19:22 18 Mar 2003

Whatever you get will be history, two months later.

Go to PC World and fiddle along the racks, for a while. You will end up totally confused, so go home.

Decide what you want to do. e.g Which were the nice, or useful, parts. Never all present in an individual machine. Get one that does most of it.

Then don't look at another Laptop Advert for the next year or you will ask yourself. Why did I not wait another month or so?

old jim 19:44 18 Mar 2003

I know this is terible thing to say, but the best advice I can give, is copy of this months Pesonal Computer World they give a top 5 best guide.
I do hope you fine something to help.
Old Jim

old jim 19:45 18 Mar 2003

I know this is terible thing to say, but the best advice I can give, is copy of this months Pesonal Computer World they give a top 5 best guide.
I do hope you fine something to help.
Old Jim

old jim 09:10 19 Mar 2003

So how much of a fool do I feel! it is of course the wonderful PC Adviser that have a top 5 best buy,sorry for the cofusion.
old Jim

Ah..yes but you have at least given away the fact that you read another magazine!! Dreadfull, you should be ashamed.

;-)))

Ricewind 09:21 19 Mar 2003

Check out the Compaq 2200+ that PC World are doing for £799 including vat. It has nearly all the features you are looking for, but only 128mb ram as standard. You do have £201 left though, so you could add the rest yourself :)

davidg_richmond 09:38 19 Mar 2003

even better than that theres a Compaq 6520 for £799 with P4 2.4Ghz, 256MB DDR RAM, and a 128MB GeForce 4 card. for £899 you can have it with a TFT.

davidg_richmond 09:42 19 Mar 2003

duhh!!! notebooks!!!! sorry guys heres me talking abou ta desktop.

that notebook Ricewind mentioned isnt available much longer, but another 128Mb of memory is only £18 from Crucial, or 2x256Mb is £64

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?