Infections

wingfield 20:36 23 Nov 2004

It appears there is a great big hole in my system somewhere as I am constantly plagued by the same pop-ups/spyware. I have XP Pro and Mozilla as my default browser. (It appears I can't get rid of IE totally). I have Ad-aware 6 and Spyware Doctor to protect but these pesky things still get through. I run the Ad-aware and Spyware Dr virtually every day and they pick up the same infections and supposedly get rid of them only for them to pop up minutes later. Something aint right!
Any help please?

VoG II 20:40 23 Nov 2004

Install SpywareBlaster click here

JIM 20:42 23 Nov 2004

what type of internet connection do you run and do you have a firewall installed?

Dorsai 21:14 23 Nov 2004

And as importantly, what infections?

wingfield 21:34 23 Nov 2004

I run a broadband connection via my electric sockets - the electric company are trialling it - not bad.
I have a belkin router which I understand has a firewall built in - allows me to have a small network at home.

here are a selection of the infections:

Elitebar - HKCU\Software\LQ
Broadcast PC - C\Program Files\TV Media
IE Plug in - Same location as above

I've already deleted these this evening and gone into program files to delete the folder but it's come back to haunt me.

VoG II 23:13 23 Nov 2004
  bluesbrother 00:15 24 Nov 2004

All of the above plus check out, add/remove programs, in control panel and uninstall anything you don't recognise

Technotiger 06:27 24 Nov 2004

I have a Modem/Router with built-in firewall, but I still use ZA and AVG, can never be too sure!!

Always On - Broadband/XP Home.

Jeffers22 09:07 24 Nov 2004

When I had a persistent pop up that Spybot, Ad-aware etc would not get rid of, HijackThis with the help of Nellie2 sorted me out. Immediately afterwards I switched to Opera and have had no further probs.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:04 24 Nov 2004

Try turning system restore off and then back on.

G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?