infection- worm?

podlod 21:08 15 Nov 2008

Hi, an engineer downloaded something last week on my pc called Smitfraud as it comes in handy he said.Since then it has really slowed up my PC as I found out recently that it is an infection called IRC-WORM.GENERIC.3868 and although I have run my BitDefender and Spybot, and Malaware, they cannot get rid of this worm. I have tried running my searched file system but no dice. I found out that if I go to C:\docs&sets\all users\desktop\siccurezza\program\siccurezza\smitfraudfix; etc etc where it is supposed to be, I get as far as desktop and there is nothing there that carries it on, just my bitdefender info and adobe.I have also deleted Smitfraud as soon as I found out. Please could someone tell me where I can go from here to remove the prob, thanks for any help????

lotvic 21:40 15 Nov 2008

SmitFraudFix is the program that gets rid of Smitfraud infection read this thread click here

SmitFraudFix is a free program

podlod 10:26 16 Nov 2008

Hi, well story so far is as follows; I did as you said and followed your link and found out that Smitfraud Fix is a bogus protector! but I found out to late as I re-downloaded Smitfraud again stupid as it might sound!!!Well after I found out I again removed the aforesaid site and ran Malwarebytes in safe mode and it stated that I had no infections, so I then ran my BitDefender and it states that I now have 7 infections which they quarantined 4 straight away but could not remove 3, which are all to do with Smitfraud and one still being IRC-Generic.3868, and another being2593 and something else. I tried House Call but does not seem to want to run?and I cant find where the infections are? One being in Doc and settings\brian\desktop etc, the other in the same but in local, and the other in system volume info? I have looked in all but are not there? could you please help further, thanks.

podlod 12:57 16 Nov 2008

Hi, My Bit Defender keeps saying the virus is in this area but I cant find it; C:/system volume info...fix\edfix.exe with numbers and letters following, I know how to get to system volume area but cannot find where this generic worm is, any ideas?

mfletch 19:00 16 Nov 2008

The system volume is you system restore,

When your computer is clean and running OK you can turn off the system restore to delete all the restore points this will remove the saved smitfraud as well,

Dont forget to turn your S/R back on and create a fresh restore point,

mfletch

podlod 11:24 18 Nov 2008

Well I did eventually have 8 infections, I managed to rid myself of 6 but it took me all day Sunday to achieve, so then I had 2 and I carried out what you advised Mfletch and it worked a treat, thanks again and thanks to Lotvic also for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?