infected files

phild 23:13 31 Mar 2010

Good evening
Could anyone help please? A friend is having trouble with his Toshiba laptop that is running vista. An anti virus programme has appeared on his system. It tells him his files are infected and he needs to purchase the product to clean the file. He has AVG on his system and regularly updates it along with windows updates. He cannot open anything at all as this programme tells him it is infected. This includes AVG, anti spyware and he can’t even get into system restore. I have told him to try and start in safe mode by tapping F8 on boot up and this doesn’t appear to work either. Any help would be most appreciated. Many thanks and regards Phil

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:20 31 Mar 2010

Name of the antivirus program?

Antivirus soft?

1. Restart your PC;
2. As soon as Windows loads, be fast and click ‘Start’ in the left-hand bottom part of your desktop;
3. Click ‘Run’ and type in ‘msconfig’ (without quotes);
4. In the popup window that opens up, hit ‘Startup’ tab and locate the process that ends in ’sftav’. Untick this process immediately;
5. Click ‘Apply’ and ‘Ok’;
6. Reboot your computer.
Now that you have restarted your PC, Antivirus Soft will not load. BUT it’s not gone yet. It’s still on your computer so you need to remove all of its files.

Mbam will then remove it click here download update and run a scan.

Sea Urchin 23:20 31 Mar 2010

It would help to know the name of this rogue anti-malware program so that we can recommend a cleaning process

phild 23:37 31 Mar 2010

Hi I ask him if there was any name associated with the antivirus and he said there isn’t, he said it has placed an icon on his desktop that is a green shield with a white tick in it. I have told him to bring his laptop to work tomorrow and I will follow the instruction you have given me and will get back to you tomorrow, many thanks for your help and time. Regards Phil

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:58 01 Apr 2010

green shield with a white tick

certainly sounds like Antivirussoft

phild 23:00 04 Apr 2010

Apologies for the delay in getting back. I followed your instructions and all is up and running. It was a Trojan which attempts to get you to pay for an anti virus remover illegally. AVG did not find this but Microsoft security essentials did. Many thanks for your help. Regards Phil

Sea Urchin 23:45 04 Apr 2010

Just to be on the safe side I would also download and run the free version of Malwarebytes from Fruit Bat /\0/\'s link above - here it is again

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache