Infected email

Meshuga 20:43 17 Jan 2006

Can anyone please tell me what Hacktool.Ariskkey is and how could it have got on to an email from my broadband provider. Fortunately it was detected by NAV and auto deleted. The email was from Metronet( now Plusnet) setting out their terms of business.

VoG II 20:47 17 Jan 2006

It probably was spoofed and was not really from your ISP, Meshuga.

Stuartli 20:48 17 Jan 2006

Not an auspicious start...:-)

I would contact PlusNet and point out this unwanted visitor has, to the best of your knowledge, been delivered to your e-mail box by the company.

VoG II 20:48 17 Jan 2006

It was click here

Hamish 20:49 17 Jan 2006

Is this any help click here

Meshuga 20:57 17 Jan 2006

Hi VoG,it appeared genuine, similar to other mail recently from Plusnet since they took over Metronet but you could be right. I will contact them. Thanks for your reply. Regards.

Hi Stuartli, I tried ringing them earlier but the office was shut. I will email them. Thanks for replying.

Meshuga 21:02 17 Jan 2006

Hi VoG and Hamish. I do have Asterisk Key program on my PC, have had it there for years with no previous problems. Would you advise removing it?

Stuartli 21:08 17 Jan 2006

In view of VoG™'s findings, I don't think it would really be worth it other than to advise them that such an e-mail was delivered to you and you have benen able to deal with it.

Some companies like to be made aware of such e-mails - the Halifax for instance - so they can further emphasise potential risks for their customers on the opening page of their online financial services websites.

VoG II 21:08 17 Jan 2006

I have to confess that I didn't read my 'click here' before posting.

It seems strange to me that NAV spotted this in an e-mail but has not given you warnings previously.

I cannot see any risk from having this program installed - it is from a reputable company click here - I have one of their programs installed.

Meshuga 21:15 17 Jan 2006

Thanks Stuartli, I agree with you. Will mail them.

Thanks VoG, will keep the prog provided I get no further trouble from it. Hope you are keeping well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?