Inexperianced user - please help!

Hardstaff 09:13 01 Nov 2008

Hi,
I am today taking my PC into PC world for its yearly check up, I currently have limewire and utorrent on my computer but have doubts if these programmes and the things you download from them are legal or not. The confusion for me is that they are well advertised and easy to get hold of so they must be legal...right?
Basically i would like to know if i need to get rid of all this stuff be for i take it in for its check up/ virus removal.
Could somebody help?

howard64 09:33 01 Nov 2008

I doubt that the pc world staff will be interested in what is on the pc. Personally I have never considered what they do worth the money. You can download free stuff that will tell you more and do more than they will. For what they charge you could buy several good progs.

Hardstaff 09:41 01 Nov 2008

Thanks howard. yeah agree about the pc wprld thing but computer still covered so service is free and i have a huge problem with viruses at the moment! thanks for the advice!
I need to invest in external memory and i wouldnt have this problem but its booked in today!

jaraba 09:48 01 Nov 2008

Dont know what, if any virus software you have but click here here for free AVG.
I have used it for some time & have had no problems with it so far. (touch wood)
I am sure you will get lots of recommendations for other free anti virus software as well.

howard64 09:49 01 Nov 2008

as its free there should be no problem but do not take any of their suggested expensive extras without coming back here for advice.

johndrew 09:54 01 Nov 2008

`.. i have a huge problem with viruses ..`

What anti-malware software and firewall do you have?

`I need to invest in external memory ..`

Are you referring to an external hard drive, DVD/CD recorder, card reader/writer or what?

From what you are saying here it looks as if PC World may try to sell you a lot of stuff either you wont need or you could get cheaper/free elsewhere. I suggest you may do better telling people here what your problems are as it is likely you will get good advice with no cost implications.

wee eddie 09:55 01 Nov 2008

There are plenty available that are "Free" and do the job as well as the "Paid For" Software.

Problems with Viruses frequently follow downloads of Music, that is in Copyright, from such Streaming Sites. The Sites themselves are doing nothing illegal, whereas you may be.

Previously PCW Staff have outed a Paedophile whose PC they were repairing.

wee eddie 09:56 01 Nov 2008

Perhaps less editing would get my replies up faster

Hardstaff 09:59 01 Nov 2008

Its one called security solutions? not too sure if its any good!! was using AVG3 but subscription ran out, got a virus alert in my toolbar i cant get rid of and i cant access task manager or my hard drives and my: programmes list has disappeared from start menu!

howard64 10:11 01 Nov 2008

if the pc starts up and you can get online with it go to trend micro and run their free pc scan.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:12 01 Nov 2008

security solutions

Get rid of it its fake

a)Clear out all temporary files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Superantispyware click here
Malware removal tool click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) use the tools menu in CCleaner to scan and fix the registry

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?