index.dat

Siddhartha 16:48 28 Aug 2006

I recently brought a second hand desktop which works well. I decided to make sure it was clean of all junk left from previous owner and used a program called windelete to clear browser cache, etc. However I noticed that one entry in the IE address bar could not be erased. I looked on the web for any assistance and while browsing I kept reading about a file called index.dat. Curious I downloaded a reader for this file and found, to my horror, the browsing history of the previous owner! I would like to erase this file and I wonder if anyone had had any experience of doing this - can anyone suggest an easy way of doing it?
If all else fails will a reinstall of XP clear it?

Graham. 17:01 28 Aug 2006
  VoG II 17:26 28 Aug 2006
  rawprawn 17:28 28 Aug 2006
  David4637 16:54 30 Aug 2006

Question - how can you delete index.dat files manually? Thanks David

woodchip 17:04 30 Aug 2006

You could use CleanUP

David4637 14:05 31 Aug 2006

I would like to delete index.dat files manually, how do I? Thanks David

rawprawn 14:13 31 Aug 2006

click here
There doesn't seem to be much point in doing it manually when any of the programs mentioned will do it in a second. Also they start buiding up again immediately.

rawprawn 14:39 31 Aug 2006

Erasing the index.dat files is a complicated and time consuming task. As mentioned earlier, the files are locked by the system and can't be erased directly. To remove them in Windows 95/98/ME you need MS-DOS skills. The idea is to create a boot disk, start the computer with the boot disk, and remove the files from the MS-DOS prompt.

On Windows NT/2000/XP/2003 you can make the Windows unlock the files by creating a new temporary user with administrator rights. Here is a step-by-step guide:
1. Create a new account at Control Panel->User Accounts->Create a new account remember to give it administrator rights and preferable a password.
2. Log out with your current user (the one with the index.dat files you want to remove).
3. Log in with the newly created user and locate and delete the index.dat files with Explorer. Remember that there may be many of them!

4.1 The easy way to delete index.dat files

David4637 14:57 01 Sep 2006

Does deleting them via safe mode work on XP?

Thanks to all who have replied with other options of deleting index.dat files.David

Siddhartha 22:46 01 Sep 2006

Thanks to all who responded. I used ccleaner to delete the entries in index.dat - everything seems to be ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017