Index page help needed

steve263000 09:54 02 Feb 2006

I urgently need help as I have managed mess up my index page. While playing with Adobe Photoshop I used the 'create a web photo album' feature. This was brilliant, but it was only a experiment. What I did not realise was that it automatically made itself the index page, therefore ruining the one I have.

I want to create a completely new page now, but when I try to delete the indea page, I therefor must delete the rest of the site as it is attached to it through the navigation menu.

What I want is to detach the index from the main site, then delete it and create a new page to attach the site to. Is that possible? My on line site is fine for now, but I can alter nothing until this is sorted.

Help please!

Forum Editor 10:25 02 Feb 2006

The rest of your site isn't 'attached' to the index page, you can delete it, although the site will not work until you have a new page called index.htm (or .html).

The simplest wat around the problem is just to create your new page and then upload it - you'll be asked if you want to overwrite the existing page.

Without knowing a bit more about the software you're using I can't be more helpful. The problem with simply uploading a new index page is that the navigation links may not work - it all depends on how you've created the page. Post back with more information.

steve263000 10:31 02 Feb 2006

Thank you F.E. for the quick answer. I am usuing FP2003. I had a quick look at the help menu, which is what I should have done before posting, and a section there told me that I could right click any page and set it as the home page. So I created a page named 'index2.htm' right clicked to set it as the home page, and it was done.

Though this is still a warning for those that might like to play with Adobe photoshop. The 'create a web photo gallery' is very good and very easy, but it then makes itself your homepage. I guess the only thing to do if you want to use it is create a 'index2' and then reset it as the homepage if you are using FP.

Sorry that was off the subject a bit...

Forum Editor 11:00 02 Feb 2006

FP 2003 is ideal, in that it automatically updates all the hyperlinks when you set a new page as the index.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?