Independent internet access for 4 PCs?

Deb-232479 14:51 28 Nov 2007

I have 4 home PCs, running various versions of Windows and have recently upgraded from a USB modem to a Netgear DG834N wireless modem router. My 4 PCs are wired to the router's ethernet ports (I also have wireless devices that will come and go).

It used to be that my Win XP Pro pc hosted the internet connection, but with my new kit I would prefer each pc to be able to connect to the internet direct through the router, so this pc isn't alway switched on. I assume this is possible but can't find any info about what settings to change. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

mgmcc 15:45 28 Nov 2007

If you are using a router, each computer connects directly to the router for its internet access. There is no "host" computer and "Internet Connection Sharing" should *NOT* be enabled on any connection in any of the computers.

Are some of the computers having a problem getting their internet access via the router?

Kemistri 16:08 28 Nov 2007

Unless you have manually over-ridden XP's networking configuration in some way, it should automatically seek WAN access from whatever active LAN connection exists, as normally indicated in the notification area. You may have influenced it by previously using ICS, running a network wizard, etc. or changing internet connection settings in IE's internet options, which other internet-enabled software will inherit. But as long as ICS is now turned off and the internet connection settings are right, any previous networking should not affect the current behaviour (typed with fingers crossed!).

Deb-232479 16:38 28 Nov 2007

mgmcc - The other PCs are only getting online while my XP Pro computer is switched on. I did have ICS enabled from my previous setup before acquiring the router.

Kemistri - Before I go changing all my ICS settings, won't this put a stop to file and printer sharing on my home network? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I just want to be sure of my plan of action before I get stuck in!

Kemistri 16:42 28 Nov 2007

ICS does not control network F/P sharing.

Deb-232479 16:52 28 Nov 2007

Thanks very much for that. I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'll leave the thread open til then in case I have any problems.

Deb-232479 08:10 30 Nov 2007

Thanks, everyone.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?