increasing spec for better multi-tasking....

Superstylin 21:45 08 Apr 2005

hi, i use the pc for all kinds of things including browsing the net, amatuer web-design, photo editing, media playing, dvd/cd writing and file converting etc etc....i'm getting impatient with slow performance when multi tasking and wonder if any upgrades would make a difference or am i in need of a new pc with better specifications?

my PC:
Compaq Presario 6207EA
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
1.70 gigahertz Intel Celeron Processor
40Gb Maxtor 2F040J0 Hard Drive (26Gb free)
NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A
SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-240B
376Mb RAM (128+256 DIMM)
MotherBoard: Compaq 0804h
i think sound and graphics are integrated?!

any info would be much appreciated

powerless 21:57 08 Apr 2005

Upgrade your RAM.

It works wonderz for what you are wanting.

512MB :-)

1GB :-))

Superstylin 22:00 08 Apr 2005

i thought it might require an upgraded processor since, looking at the cpu consumption, when converting files from avi to dvd for instance, the program uses over 90% of the resources!

Superstylin 22:15 08 Apr 2005

ok so i've just ordered 512Mb ram. i know i didn't even wait to hear anymore suggestions. i think i've only got 2 slots on the motherboard so i'll take out the 128 stick and put in 512 with the 256. there's a compromise between your 512 and 1 Gig Powerless :)

my partner is loving this cos it's their pc and i'm slowly but surely upgrading it for me!

JonnyTub 22:15 08 Apr 2005

As powerless says, ram is what you want, Ram is the single biggest upgrade you can perform on any pc in terms of performance increase.

If I were you I'd go for increasing my ram first, hard drive second (you need a bigger one than 40 gb if you start getting into your video editing etc, and i bet there's not much space left on it already), thirdly the processor

Superstylin 22:19 08 Apr 2005

on my hard drive. i'm quite 'tidy' when it comes to storing stuff i.e., i get rid of anything i don't need. but yeah ur right if i got into vid editing i would need it i guess.

tenplus1 22:47 08 Apr 2005

Another way of improving your system is to tweak

Go here: click here

This helps remove all those unused parts of Windows to save you memory, plus it speeds up your system...

Superstylin 01:21 09 Apr 2005

i use a reg cleaner already, it does make a difference but i don't know how much affect it'll have when i'm converting files, downloading files and trying to play a simple flash game that keeps stalling!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

These hilarious robot GIFs will be sure to make you smile

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie