Increasing RAM

JF25 14:15 14 Aug 2009

Norton has recommended I increase my RAM memory
My computer has a Athlon(tm)Processer 2800+ 1.8GHz 512 MB of RAM (this is 2 @ 256)
Is this a practical possibility for a person with very limited experience to undertake or should I leave to the professionals. Also what would be a suitable size for my set up.
J

oldbeefer2 14:17 14 Aug 2009

Very easy to do. Best run the crucial tool click here. lots of guides available from google as to how to change RAM and precautions to take.

Quiet Life 14:22 14 Aug 2009

I am not surprised Norton is a totally bloated piece of software that will slow down any compute.
Google Crucial and run their program that will tell you what you need and likely benefits.
XP will run OK on 512mb but 1gb will be better.
It is likely that you only have 2 slots so the memory that you have will be redundant should you upgrade.
Old memory that you have is much more expensive than current memory and frankly ditching Norton and using a free program such as Avast or AVG would probably speed up your computer

woodchip 14:26 14 Aug 2009

If you do not do more than Surfing the net type a few letters etc. You do not need any more Ram

woodchip 14:31 14 Aug 2009

Best as above get rid of Norton and Loads Free Avast as I have done on all my XP home computers.

You have to remove Norton Before Installing another Anti-Virus As you should only have one loaded on your computer

click here

Register first and they will send you a E-Mail Key to put in. After downloading the above, Remove Norton then load Avast. Also Norton Removal Tool
click here

sonyboy 15:15 14 Aug 2009

All good tips from the guys above..I know that your original query was about memory ...but I must totally agree with the issues regarding Norton .It is a well respected A/V ..but the way it "hooks " deep into the registry and the sheer "bloat "that it carries is a "prime mover" in slowing down a computer (even with a decent memory levels)!!
The memory tools that Crucial and other memory suppliers use.. will suggest the correct type for your motherboard..Buy the most RAM that your board will support as memory prices are a fluctuating commodity and prices are good at present! If you shift Norton ..and add RAM! ..You will certainly see a difference!!

citadel 19:33 14 Aug 2009

norton 2009 uses very little resources, all av should put stuff deep into pc to prevent attacks.

tullie 19:35 14 Aug 2009

Have a look at Norton 360,not at all bloated,you wouldent know its there.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:10 14 Aug 2009

Have to agree with tullie, Norton 360 v3 (free as I was on the beta test) does not slow your PC and unobtrusively goes about it's business without in any way slowing, or interfering with, other programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?