Increasing processor efficiency

Josquius 18:21 18 Nov 2004

Recently my processor has started to run up to 100% on occasions, it is a AMD (not sure what type off hand) 2.4ghz and I am not running anything big on it so it shouldn't be doing this.
Does anyone know of anything I can do to make it more efficient?
Anything you can safely disable?
Or is reformatting the only option?
I'm on windows xp.

Dorsai 18:37 18 Nov 2004

I would start by getting and running these,

spybot click here

adaware click here

a squared. click here

to make sure it is not some nastie lurking on your PC.

mattyc_92 18:43 18 Nov 2004

Hi, I am aslo using a AMD processor. You can use a program called FreeMEM Pro that will moniter CPU performance and Memory and adjust to fit your computer's needs. My processor isn't as powerful as yours (mine is a 1.69ghz), and I have found this program has helped dramatically. You may also want to check some of your recenly installed programs to see if they are working correctly. You can find this program click here

jimv7 19:04 18 Nov 2004

As your running winxp which has a most efficient memory manager, 3rd party programes that use memory and system resources to run are not a good idea.

Dorsai has made good sugestions.

mattyc_92 19:08 18 Nov 2004

FreeMEM doesn't use up your resources. All it does is clears your MEMORY when the parts that are cleared aren't being used, thus speeding up your system

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?