Incorrect level of cache?

Broadbean13 18:20 26 Dec 2007

I today purchased a laptop - HP DV9605 which was advertised on Currys website as having the following processor -
AMD Athlon 64x2 Processor TK55 (1.80 GHz, 1600 MHz FSB, 2 MB Cache) .

When i got home i noticed the labelling on the packing stated it was only 512kb level 2 cache.

please can someone advise me
a) have i missed something here?
b) does it make any difference as i don't really know what cache does?
c) should I take it back and go for one of the laptop options with Intel I was originally going to buy!!

Hope someone can help. Thx.

sean-278262 19:02 26 Dec 2007

click here

Try this program it should help to identify if you have been sold a misrepresented item. However the cache unless you are going to be wanting a few extra points in terms of gaming performance scores. it will make very little difference to how it looks to you.

Quiller. 19:53 26 Dec 2007

then it has just 512Kb of cache.click here

Broadbean13 21:00 26 Dec 2007

Thx for the replies so far. In my early research, nearly all the processors I looked at were Intel core 2 duo around 1.66Ghz (667Mhz , 2MB Cache) and therefore I thought the AMD one was comparable.

I note the reply that the cache makes little difference but is the ability of the processor likely to be what I thought. ie. is it a reasonable direct comparison to Intel?

sean-278262 21:04 26 Dec 2007

As with what quiller has said the tk55 only comes with 512kb of cache however it may be a clerical error in typing even though the HP advertised is advertised as having a TK55. The only other likely processors that could be in it if it was a typo are these 2

click here&

So to be quite honest it has been incorrectly advertised. However the likelihood you will notice any difference in the cache is minute as in general larger cache is really only noticed on Servers and more high demand uses. However you are more than free to return it as misrepresented at POS under the sale of goods act.

sean-278262 21:08 26 Dec 2007

Intel rules the roost here at the moment. Intel have much more powerful processors. However at the end of the day what is it you want to do with the computer? As it is a laptop you are unlikely to notice any advantage as laptops are rubbish for games unless it is a gaming laptop.

On a 499 laptop it isnt going to make much difference what processor you use. At the end of the day it depends on the overall system to work out how it does overall. A computer is only as fast as its slowest bottleneck as such.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?