Incomplete downloaded files, what happens to them?

CurlyWhirly 18:47 02 Jun 2005

I was wondering what exactly happens to files that are cancelled in the middle of the download process?
It's just that sometimes I have cancelled a download and I was wondering if the incomplete data file is stored in the Temporary Internet folder?

Also when I run a program such as C*ap Cleaner does it get rid of these incomplete download files?
Just curious!

Technotiger 18:53 02 Jun 2005

Hi, I would guess that they are not retained at all - unless you are using something like DAP which holds them for completion at a later date.

Cheers.

CurlyWhirly 18:59 02 Jun 2005

Thanks for replying.
I had to cancel a rather large download last night (at nearly 50 mb) as I realised afterwards that I selected the wrong file and this is what got me wondering what happened to it hence my query?

By the way what's a DAP?
Is it some kind of download manager?

Technotiger 19:04 02 Jun 2005

DAP - an excellent download manager - available free at click here it allows resume etc,
I definately recommend it - it is faster.

Cheers.

selfbuild 19:06 02 Jun 2005

Have you looked in the file that you told it to download too..... Partial downloads will be that folder somewhere....

CurlyWhirly 19:09 02 Jun 2005

Technotiger - Do I really need a download manager with broadband as I thought that was intended for dial-up users?

selfbuild - yes I did browse through my download folder (where I downloaded it to) but could not see it after I had cancelled the file.

Cheers!

Jaro 19:10 02 Jun 2005

regarding to DAP i thing that the freshdownload is much better than DAP. i had some probs with DAP but fresh is far the best download manager i have ever used. i would go for freshdownload.

Technotiger 19:11 02 Jun 2005

Yes, it still makes downloads faster. Have you ever downloaded anything from say, C-Net? DAP is many many times faster.

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:13 02 Jun 2005

Have you tried the latest DAP? V.7.01

A big improvement on the previous versions.

CurlyWhirly 19:14 02 Jun 2005

Thanks for all the advice on selecting a download manager and I will check them out but I was really after info on what happens to a downloaded file when you cancel it i.e. does the incomplete file just get deleted or is stored in the Temporary Internet folder to be deleted at a later date when you use a program like C*ap Cleaner?

Cheers.

Technotiger 19:14 02 Jun 2005

ps - I too have broadband.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?