Incompatible address with protocol

Border View 10:32 18 Nov 2009

My bluetooth connection sees both my computer and my mobile phone and they pair up, but when I try sending files I get the message

"An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used" Transfer failed.

MY OS is XPhome SP3. I get the same message regardless of which mobile phone I use. The dongle is about three years old.

Has anyone else had this problem and can anyone help me overcome the failure to transfer files before I pull my hair out. Thank you.

bremner 11:01 18 Nov 2009

This error occurs if you are using an unsupported Bluetooth stack, e.g. Broadcom. If your dongle is supported by the built in XP drivers you can try uninstalling your third-party bluetooth software and let XP install the default stack

bremner 11:12 18 Nov 2009

Yes - that is what is required.

Uninstall the Bluetooth driver and then let Windows install its default Bluetooth driver.

Border View 11:12 18 Nov 2009

Many thanks for responding bremner.

I cant see any reference to bluetooth in my list of programmes. Would you suggest uninstalling bluetooth in device manager and letting it reinstall itself when I plug the dongle in?

bremner 11:13 18 Nov 2009

That is very odd - my reply to your 11.12 post has been placed above your post!!

Border View 11:13 18 Nov 2009

Sorry I should have said its a Mikomi bt dongle

Border View 16:18 19 Nov 2009

Just thought I would mention that I went to Currys today and bought an Advent Class 2 v2.0 with EDR Bluetooth adapter.

Installed the drivers and eventually got everything working.

Many thanks for responding and showing me the way.

Kind regards - Barmoor

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?