INCINERATE - what is it?

y_not 17:14 05 Nov 2003

My win2k PC has been slowing down on boot-up during the past few weeks.

I have noticed that one of the drives (which I happen to use to backup my bank files) is 10GB and, when viewed through windows explorer, contains nothing else. When burning data to a CD recently I noticed that there were a number of other files on the drive .... including "INCINERATE"
I checked that "Show hidden files" was checked - it was.

I have (for now) disconnected the drive and the PC boots at a reasonable speed.

Can anyone explain what this file could be and if its some sort or virus, please?

I checked Symantecs virus list and its not shown but over the past three days the daily scan has reached this drive and not managed to get past it.

Any ideas would be appreciated

Regards

Tony

The Lights Are On 17:27 05 Nov 2003

At some point you have installed 'System Mechanic' the program makes these folders & even if System Mechanic is removed the folders remain. It makes a Incinerate folder for each drive. If you have deleted System Mechanic via Add/remove programs the Incinerate folders can be safely removed. They are completly harmless.

Stuartli 17:30 05 Nov 2003

Might be burning software...:-)

Read this:

click here

and some others:

click here=

Watch the first one, it asks if it can become your home page.

y_not 17:30 05 Nov 2003

Excellent!

Thank you.

You're right - I tried the download but wasn't impressed with it ...... just checked and found that I've not removed it - but thats the next job on my list

christmascracker 17:32 05 Nov 2003

I've just typed it into google and got a bit of a shock when I clicked on the first link!!

The Lights Are On 17:41 05 Nov 2003

:-) :-0

Stuartli 17:51 05 Nov 2003

You and me both...:-)

Diemmess 19:55 05 Nov 2003

System Mechanic - when uninstalled leaves an iolo folder, and also a couple of references in the registry. If you are really keen

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?